What questions do you recommend I ask in an interview?

I'm trying to prepare for an interview I have in a couple weeks for an internship at a tech company so i'm hoping to get some ideas of questions I should ask the interviewer. What are the best questions you've gotten from an interviewee? What are questions you've asked in an interview that went over really well? I want to impress the person, but also get the information I need to be able to do well if I get the job. Thank you!! #technology #human-resources #interviews

Jaclyn’s Answer

Be sure to research the company for which you are interviewing. It is important to understand their products, who their competitors are, which markets they compete in, and their priorities. I always find it interesting to hear what their current challenges and obstacles are as it provides great context for any problems you may be helping them to solve. As an intern, it is also important to understand what your opportunities are for a full-time position once the internship has ended. Good luck!

Kelly’s Answer

Do your research about the company to which you are applying - understand their business, their priorities, the market they're in, who their competitors are, etc. Ask questions about the business challenges they face and how they plan to to tackle them, ask questions about their priorities and how those align with where the industry is headed, and ask them what key problems you as a new hire can help them solve. Then let them know you can assure them you won't let them down!

Mario’s Answer

Focus questions on understanding the deliverable associated with the internship. I would probe on expectations, time frames, resources available, and reporting structure. Beyond that, you may want to find out how the company is planning to use the work you deliver and how you might use it to build your resume.

Penny’s Answer

Hi!

Do your research on the company so you can align some questions around their business model and products. My best interviews were the ones where I was prepared with knowledge about the company. Tell them why you chose to apply for the position and what excites you about the company and the role. Have a positive attitude, show confidence in your abilities, eagerness to learn and be honest.
I like to ask the interviewer how they got to where they are at the company. Some good questions I saw on Linked in recently: 1. What skills will I gain to prepare me for a full time position with the company after graduation? 2. What more can I tell you about myself to help you make the decision that I am the right person for this position? Good Luck!

My one advice would be when they ask whether you have any questions for them, i would ask them something along the lines of "what are your concerns/reservation about me or my application" which should hopefully give you a chance to address any unspoken issues.
To highlight your willingness to be an engaged employee, you might want to ask what are some programs/ways that you can help contribute to team events or activities to foster teamwork.

Will’s Answer

Understand what current strategies the company is pursuing going in, and then ask what this role can do to further those strategies. The best question I've received is from someone asking where I saw this role going in two or three years after accomplishing all the immediate objectives. It showed they were in it for the long haul and forced me to think career path right away.

Mary’s Answer

The question I like the best is at the end of the interview when the candidate asks me - "Is there anything else you'd like to know about me or anything else I can answer. I think a candidate asking a lot of questions about the role and doing as much homework before the interview to be prepared is key but closing it out the way I mention above I really like.

James’s Answer

Make sure you have plenty relevant questions it's key to a successful interview.....make them feel like you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. This creates an air of confidence and suggests you have plenty options and are trying to make the best choice for you. I like when people ask lots of questions about how to be really successful in the role. How do they best prepare, how to they get up to speed quickly? What traits do the top performers in this role exhibit. Do not recap on area's that have already been covered. Also work towards a natural close....making sure you get confirmation from the recruiter that they feel you are suitable for the role and get the discussing the next steps in the process with you.

James’s Answer

I agree with the comments above, particularly with respect to doing research. I would suggest re-framing your thinking slightly. Instead of considering which questions to ask, think about what you will share with and describe to your interviewer in terms of how you will contribute to the long-term success of the company. In other words, demonstrate your competence of the company and industry and paint a picture of how you will succeed. I have even seen some people whiteboard proposals on the spot. You will demonstrate both a bias towards action and your competence.

Dan’s Answer

What will my day to day activities include? What other departments will I be interacting with?

Prerna’s Answer

Hi ,

When you ask an interviewer a question, it also reflects on how much you are interested in the job and company. Most likely , you are going to work with your interviewer or report to them if you get selected.

Some questions that I have asked or have been asked from me :

-- What has your experience been like at this company?

-- What is one thing you don't like at all about your job or company?

-- Where do you see this company 5 years from now?

-- What is the company's plan for my career growth?

-- How can I convert this internship role to a permanent position once I finish my degree.