How do you change into a career you have no professional experience or education in?

3

I want to pursue a career in Visual Arts, but my professional experience and previous education more geared towards warehouse and IT fields. I don't even have a good art portfolio.
How do I get my foot on the right path?

#art #artist #career #career-choice

3

Jeanne’s Answer

1
If you want a career in visual arts, then you have to show your talents in an interview to have the best chance to get the job. This would be an easy thing to do (vs trying to show your talent in some other areas that don't have a physical thing you can show)
First start building examples - so make designs, art work, presentations that show your talents. Ask volunteer places if you can create presentations for them to show the community what they need, create pictures (digital or paint, etc) for places like a nursing home that would love to display free artwork, etc. Create some free websites to show you know how to see layout options for the internet.
This will give you a real portfolio and community experience too in meeting and talking with various types of businesses.
1

Ashlee’s Answer

0
Hi Brianna, first, in my opinion it depends on your goals in visual arts. If you want a formal education then you could consider going to an Art Institute or getting a Bachelor's at a University in Sculpture, Graphic Design, or Painting. Or if you want to pursue your passions without going into formal education, then you might want to review options for individual classes, in order to build your skill set. Then I would recommend entering competitions so that you can begin to network and look at others' skills as well. Also look for opportunities to display your work. From my students experience, I've found cafe's, small galleries, book stores, even bars/restaurants/hookah lounges are textile friendly. Next, I would look for opportunities to intern through LinkedIn or personal contacts (this is where networking also helps). Then begin to build your portfolio by reviewing other portfolios online. Google, YouTube, Instagram, and Pinterest are easy ways to see other portfolios. Make sure to include your best work (about 15-20 pieces) and make sure the work flows/conveys the "story" you want your readers to understand. Then get out there and market yourself! You can do it!
0