Salma C.

46

1

What advise would you give to someone who cannot decide what she wants to do when she grows up?

I am very undecided about my future and want I want to do. I am a senior in high school. #advice #undecided

Hey Salma, Don’t get too hung up on not knowing what you want to do; many people don’t. I don’t think most seniors in high school know exactly what they want to do when they grow up, so you’re not alone. Many who think they know what they want to do end up changing it while in college, or after embarking on their chosen post-grad careers. So don’t sweat it too much! If you’re going to college, try to pick one that has a lot of different majors and programs so you’re not limited to what you want to try. When you get there, keep an open mind and try different things. Join unique clubs, take classes that sound interesting, and learn as much as possible. Even if you’re not attending college, take various classes, join various associations, and learn new hobbies. To help you figure out what you’re most interested in, you’re going to have to do some self-reflection. There are so many books, webinars, podcasts, articles, etc. out there that can help guide you. I know it can be frustrating to feel completely unsure about what you want to do in the future -- I’ve been there. Something that has helped me is to look at your life as a learning journey. Each decision you make and each new thing you try is going to guide you in the right direction. Learning that something is absolutely not for you is just as valuable as finding something you love. So keep an open mind, stay honest with yourself, and experience as much as possible! Best of luck.

This professional recommends the following next steps:

Last updated Sep 19 at 17:50

3 comments

Join clubs and visit career fairs. If you are totally unsure but OK with STEM, then I will suggest start your exploration with STEM.
Last updated Oct 06 at 17:58

Schools Add a schools