As a 10th grader what extracurriculars and average should I aim for if looking to apply to computer science?

3

I'm in 10th grade and trying to work my way towards computer science at waterloo or UOFT. My projected average is 91, mainly because I didn't try that hard first semester, but I understand the sacrifice I must make now. Any advice on volunteer activities or extracurriculars I should pursue to reach my goal? #computer-science #college #technology

3

Fred’s Answer

1
Very good question and it is important to start thinking of your options. If you are interested in computer programming, I suggest you download some free development software, such as Visual Studio if you are interested in developing Microsoft applications, or Java and the Java IDE which is also free.
If you are interested in Data Science the two main tools would be Python and R. There are plenty of free tutorials online that will help you get started.
I would also read as much as you can about object-oriented programming and also database tools such as MySQL or SQL Server.
This would be a great start and you can begin learning how to create programs or analyze data which are great skills in today's market.

You are on the right track and I believe you will find programming to be fun and it will test your creativity.
Good Luck
Great answer! I loved the different approach you gave me, providing me with insights that aren't redundant! I do appreciate the redundant ones as well, as they give me more of an indicator to the knowledge that's generally accepted, however, I like the occasional extra wisdom as well! I'll be sure to learn object-oriented programming and MYSQL as I need to build up the skillset to build a website by the end of June. Wish me luck, and all the best! Aun M. Translate
1

Rajesh’s Answer

1
Good to know your interest in Computer Science!
Any educational or extra-curricular activity that involves STEP will benefit you. If you are interested in programming, I suggest you start taking basic programming courses (Python, Linux, Web, Databases, Cloud, Scripting, etc.). Apart of learning a computer language, logic or understanding of algorithms is extremely important. These days, IMO, as a computer science professional, you are supposed to know wide range of platform and technologies and a need to knowledge on how to integrate things to come up with a solution.
You still have time to browse through various career paths available!

Irrespective of your undergrad decision, I would highly encourage you to focus on soft skills (communiciation skills - written/verbal, presentation, debating, etc.) which will help you in a long run.

I wish you best of luck for your career!
1

Abhijit’s Answer

1
Wonderful to hear that you're looking for a career with computer science. Computer industry has quite a few branches and need specific knowledge for each of that while need to have basic understanding of all the others. It's mainly divided mainly into software and hardware. Having the basic knowledge of electronics would help and then HS curriculum has comp science class. Robotics also has some exposure about programming as well as some building idea (a diff type of computer) and then some coding challenges classes would help.
You have time to select your path at undergrad study but follow your inner call and passion. Wish you all the best and good luck.
Thank you for your answer, I'm definitely joining my computer science and robotics club right after school is opened again! I also may take the CCC coding contest next year or so, when I'm well immersed in the field. Thank you for the kind words, I'll be sure to follow a passion that I see fit. All the best! Aun M. Translate
1

Darcy’s Answer

1
This answer has two answers or perhaps three: Do you want to specialize in hardware? Software? or a hybrid learner. I started in Hardware and became a software expert as I saw others profiting in that area. You follow your passion. Now I am into AI...
Thanks for the answer! I'm currently into software, but hardware is also quite an interesting topic. It's amazing to see the progress you've achieved! I'm currently into software but have also taken steps to keep my options for hardware open. All the best! Aun M. Translate
1

Darcy’s Answer

1
In most High Schools they have AP Computer Science and in there the tests have items on Python....Good Luck!
Thanks for your answer! Yes, I am definitely looking into taking AP computer science, but I will have to see if I can handle the workload! Aun M. Translate
1