How to figure out if Law School might be right for me?

4

I'm a junior studying Philosophy and have an interest in pursuing a career in law. The only summer internships available with firms are limited to 1L and 2L students with no opportunities for undergraduates. How might I be able to get some perspective into the field and see if it might be the right fit for me?

#law-school #college #internship #lawyer #law

4

0
Charlotte,

Look beyond law firms!

Look up Litigation Support Services. They help law firms get the documents in a case, and sometimes help put together videos like "a day in the life of Joe Smith." Such as when trying to show how difficult life has been for Joe since the traffic accident. I see Magnolia Legal Support, Trial Concepts, Quality Litigation Support (they look like a smaller company, and might appreciate the help), Persuasion LLC, to name a few. Familiarize yourself with this type of service before reaching out to them. While big law firms can contract out, smaller firms do most of this themselves!

Scroll to the bottom of the page on this link. They are looking for someone! (I would guess there would be strong competition, but, it is worth a try! https://www.nlg-npap.org/our-programs/

A little bit about them. NPAP is the National Police Accountability Project. It is a group of lawyers sharing information to help each other in cases involving police officers violating prisoners civil rights. It is headquartered in NOLA. It is an awesome group of people. If this area of the law appeals to you, you should check it out!
0

Tiffany’s Answer

0
Charlotte,

Like Kim's response above, I would recommend looking for opportunities outside of law firms. Some companies and public interest organizations will have summer legal internship opportunities (paid or unpaid) for college students, but you will need to be proactive in searching for them. LinkedIn, Indeed, and other job boards would be a great starting point to search for these opportunities. I would also recommend reaching out to Career Services at your university to see if they have any local connections for internships.

Also, if you know any attorneys, don't hesitate to ask them if their firm/company/organization would be interested in a legal intern either during the school year or summer. When you reach out to them, it would be helpful to emphasize your passion for the law and any skills you may have which would make you a successful candidate for a legal intern position. Certain qualities and skills that I would look for in a legal intern would be: critical thinking/analysis, excellent writing and proofreading, and an attention to detail. If you can demonstrate that you possess these qualities (amongst others), it may help with getting your foot in the door. Wishing you the best of luck in your career search!

0

Nathalie G.’s Answer

0
I would recommend looking into loco legal aid societies often times they allow undergraduate or even high school students to help around the office. I interned at the California Innocence Project while I was in law school and they allow undergrad and high school students to help. You c and look to see if there is a local legal aid society or innocence project near you and get exposure there.

Also, it might be worth reaching out to the career services offices at local law school for instance, the law school i attended had a workshop called A.I.M. for law that was specifically for law students to mentor high school students interested in going to law school. Best of luck! You’ll make the right decision
0

Jorie’s Answer

0
This is a tough one. I was in the same boat when I was in college. It was next to impossible to find legal internships and most companies do not want to hire students who will only be available for the summer. I assume you are a full time student and are only looking for something over the summer. Do you know anyone in the legal field? If so, I would recommend asking them if their firm or company would permit a prospective law student to shadow their employees. I've worked at several firms that let students shadow the office for a few days. I know that won't be the same as a summer internship, but it might help steer you in the right direction! You could also look for a part-time unpaid opportunity if you're able to make that work with a paid non-legal job. Lastly, I suggest also taking some law related courses if your school has them. I took classes like constitutional law, business law, civil rights and liberties, etc. that all really helped me in deciding that I wanted to pursue a legal career. Best of luck to you!
0