Will it be worth the time?

Because i wont if its a waste #college #technology #video-games

Gregg’s Answer

In my opinion, college is always a good idea especially for technology related careers. You'll get good background knowledge you can use when you graduate that you will likely use for the rest of your life. And college grads earn significantly more than just high school grads (See Pew Research Center: http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2014/02/11/the-rising-cost-of-not-going-to-college/).

FYI - I went to college for a career totally unrelated to my current career but I still use what I learned in college.

Akshama’s Answer

It will definitely be worth your time. Going to college will help you network with other like-minded people and help you grow in your career.

Rafael’s Answer

If you are referring to College - it is never a waste of time. The more knowledge you are acquire the more marketable you make yourself.

Chandra’s Answer

Sandy, yes it is worth buy there are some basics you will need to complete before the interesting part actually starts but if it something that aligns with your passion it will be worth it!

Navya’s Answer

Hi Sandy,

Colleges/Universities will feel like a waste of time if you choose to enter a field which is far from your area of interests. I know you have mentioned video games, maybe you will be interested in game development? Not only do you get play games but also be able to develop some cool games out there! In this case a course in Programming will definitely be of interest to you. Yes there are some basics you will need to complete before the interesting part actually starts but if it something that aligns with your passion it will be worth it!

Good Luck!

Akshayata’s Answer

Hard work never goes to waste

Lindsey’s Answer

Hi Sandy! What exactly are you referring to as possibly being a waste of your time? Let professionals know so that they can give you the best advice possible!

Me going to college and spending the time in school for creating video games
Gotcha! Professionals on the site can now weigh in on their thoughts + advice :) Good luck!
College is never a waste of time in my book. In most careers you will always earn more income with a college degree. When you go through the process you learn more then just what your studying. Commitment to achieve a goal is a big one and companies put a lot of value on that. Also, you get exposed to much more that could end up taking you down many different paths and have opportunities to network as many professors/teachers will be from the industry. There are many good college game programs so I would focus on those schools.

Cristol’s Answer

College is never a waste of time! You get to have new experiences, meet new people, learn and grow. However, you are going to get out what you put in, so if you don't really know if you want to go to college think about your life goals before just taking classes. Make sure to reach out to a guidance counselor or advisor to help get you on the right path for whatever you want to do! Also, be sure to get involved in clubs or groups that interest you, sometimes the best opportunities don't come from a classroom!