Would you recommend a career in Pathology?

I’m considering going into medicine, but I don’t know what specialty is right for me. I would like a career where I can tackle important problems and make people’s lives better. What do you guys think? Would this be the right specialty? I’m trying to figure out which one is right for me. career-path medicine healthcare career-choice career

4

Dennis’s Answer

You might consider a pathology career if:

You enjoy anatomy and physiology. For example: as a kid, you played with a toy skeleton instead of a doll or action figure.
You prefer to work in a lab behind a microscope rather than interfacing with patients all day.
You enjoy solving mysteries or finding answers to the unknown.
You are drawn to the scientific, analytical, technical aspect of medicine.
1

Pathologists have very little interaction with patients, but are incredibly valuable in establishing a diagnosis so that physicians can make a treatment plan. I would shadow a pathologist and spend the day looking at slides with them. See if you like it.
1

Pathologists are an important part of the clinical team. Also they take less call and seem to be the among the happiest physicians I know.
0

Blake’s Answer

Hey Shawn,

I still recommend shadowing a doctor first, but I have heard that Pathology has significantly less patient interaction compared to a traditional doctor.

Thanks,
Blake
0