I am interested in becoming an Anesthesiologist. What majors would be recommended?

Updated Bennington, Vermont

I am asking because I have talked to several doctors to see what college administrators are looking for and there is a divide in their answer. Some stay steer clear of any majors that have anything to do with science and others say focus mainly on the science aspect because it prepares you for pre-med. #college #doctor #premed #science #hospital-and-health-care #medical

MICHAEL’s Answer

Updated New York, New York
Courtney, Since an Anesthesiologist is an MD, I would focus on pre-med courses. I have worked in hospitals for many years, and often in the OR. watching the clinical staff. Anesthesiology is an art as much as a science. There are best practices, of course, but each patient can react a little differently to the anesthetic drugs. This makes for a long learning curve once your enter practice. For school, you would need top grades to get into Medical School, and a very positive outlook (drive) to become a doctor. Extra-curricular activities should include volunteering at hospitals. If you have the grades and the money, it can lead to a very rewarding career. Speak with your school counseilor about entry requirements, including the GMAT exam. Good luck, Michael