Brett B.’s Avatar

Brett B.

196

4

What are good ways to build the best resume to impress employers?

I just graduated college and will be trying to continue school and I want to know good ways to build up my resume so it will be impressive to employers. #professional #graduate #resume #employment

Here are a few of my top tips for making sure you're resume is ready to be distributed to employers. Of course this doesn't cover all of it, but if you can check off each of these requirements you're not in bad shape.

Content: - Join a professional association. There are some that are not too expensive and show your employer that you’re involved and interested in the industry. - Volunteer (even virtually) with an organization that may be relevant to your future job. Listing this on your resume shows your philanthropic side, and if you don’t feel you have enough job experience, volunteer work can be beneficial in filling in the blanks.

Visuals: - Make absolutely sure that it’s 1 page in length! Anything above that as a recent college graduate is a bad idea and completely unnecessary. - Consistent font and spacing is crucial. If some lines are Times New Roman while some are Arial and there are random indents all over, it’s going to look sloppy and rushed. - Make sure your resume layout is sleek and simple. You don’t want it cluttered or for it to look like you’re trying to fit too much on the page. - Try a unique design -- Canva.com has some really fun templates you can just fill in that will make your resume stand out.

I hope this is helpful. My final tip would be to share your resume with friends and family you trust to give you honest feedback.

Last updated Apr 03 '17 at 19:41
The first thing you should do is attempt to contact the hiring manager or academic program coordinator. If they are easy to reach, put in the effort to tailor you resume to the position requested and apply for the position/program. If not, it may waste your time to put in the effort and not receive a reply. If you are interested in getting into graduate school, you may need a different resume than if you are applying to work in industry or with an organization. Industry cares about your skills and if you can do the job. First provide the necessary contact information and education background. You can provide the highest honor you received while in college or an award you received that is relevant to the job you are applying for. Then list your skills. Feel free to look at what skills the employer is looking for in case you forget to list an important and relevant skill you have. Also provide any relevant certifications and where/when you received them. After that, briefly list your work experience. Finally, provide a list of major honors and awards you have. If you have more space, list relevant courses or volunteering experiences that prepared you for the job. If you still have room, provide references. Resume should be maximum of 1 page in length. Academia also cares about the same sections I provided in the industry section but focuses on publications if you have any. It is necessary to list any publications you may have. If not, don't sweat it; you may still be accepted to graduate school. I believe Academia prefers CVs over resumes. CVs are much longer in length (unlimited number of pages) and provide more detail/description about your work experience. My advisor had me remove my skills section and kept all of the other sections in my CV. Your publications, work and volunteering experience will imply what skills you may have. Choose several professional layouts for your resume. Then narrow it down to which template is most readable and least distracting. Black and white templates are classics and known to be professional. You take a risk when using colored or "creative" templates. Unless the position requests that you be creative when applying, your goal should be to be as straightforward and to the point as possible, which can be accomplished using a black and white template. Best of luck!
Last updated Jul 13 '17 at 05:50
If you are continuing your education, you should also look for internships - paid or unpaid - in your field of study so that you can get good practical experience while you're a student. Connect with the career services department on campus to find out about internship opportunities from companies that recruit on campus.
Last updated Aug 11 '17 at 15:57
Also, if you are not accepted for a position, it's okay to ask their opinion about your resume and if you need to make any improvements.
Last updated Jul 13 '17 at 05:52