How to start a career in networking ?

14

I am a student and I want to career in networking how? #networking #cybersecurity#cloud computing #iot #career

14

Anilkumar’s Answer

4
To start with carrier in networking - it would be an advantage to have CCNA certification. Have this certification will help you in getting a Job as Level1/Level2 engineer in Sevice provicer NOC or Planning/deployment teams. With on job exposure you can start pursuing CCNP and CCIE as you go along. In networking you have lots of domains - Enterprise networking (supporting internal networks of organisations/offices - LAN, WAN, wireless, basic security, storate, datacenters etc), Service providers networking (these are ISPs providing network connectivity to organisations/offices - WAN, internet,L3VPN,L2VPN,TV cable networks,Datacenters, basic security), Security networking (covers security products in both enterprise and Service providers), Datacenter & Cloud (these are for cloud/datcenter networking - Servers,storage,switching,basic routing,basic security etc). Based on your interest you can start with any one and as move along you can always gain knowledge from other domains. Important is to first get started and start gaining knowledge via centification and hands on exposure.

Best of luck on your journey.
Thank you AnilKumar ji Tejendra U.
4

Mitchell’s Answer

2
The standards of your home country are foreign to me, but if it's anything like the American network scene, certifications and degrees are king. If you like cloud computing, Amazon Web Certs are great. If you want more general IT knowledge, CompTIA certs are where to go. There are also various programming certifications to look at if you want to add that to your resume.

And of course, if you can get a degree in the subject, that would be a huge step up. Good luck!

Mitchell recommends the following next steps:

• Amazon Web Certs (generally for people with baseline networking knowledge): https://aws.amazon.com/certification/
  • CompTIA certs go down to the very basics of computer use and go up from there. These are my favorite: https://www.comptia.org/certifications
  • Python is a good place to start if you're into programming: https://pythoninstitute.org/
Mitchell,thanks for answering ,but I need one more favor from your side is I want a path from end to end in networking if possible ? Tejendra U.
If you want the most clear-cut path in networks, I'll give you the certification order that I would recommend: A+, Security+, Network+, Linux+, Server+, Cloud Essentials+, AWS Cloud Practitioner, and then climb the AWS cert chain on whatever branch you like. Cybersecurity certs are great too. Programming ones are just icing on the cake, but my mentor is a PhD student and he's telling me that because everything is so cloud-based that a lot of network management is going to be custom scripts writting in Python and bash scripts and stuff, so I think it might be helpful to throw them in for getting ready for the future of the field. Mitchell Harrison
Thank you ..😊 Tejendra U.
Of course! :) Mitchell Harrison
Thank you for the answer, sir! I really appreciate your efforts to provide students like me with the knowledge they need to be successful in the IT and networking field! Aun M.
Absolutely, no problem at all. I enjoy it! Mitchell Harrison
2

Dexter’s Answer

0
Hi Tejendra,

I'm not sure what opportunities you have in India, but I had a friend who became a successful network engineer by earning an "Enterprise Networking" Associate Degree at a local community college (https://www.foothill.edu/onlinelearning/students/aa_courses/aa_enterprise_networking.html). He was working in IT (doing desktop support) while he earned the degree, then transferred to the networking team as a junior network engineer when the opportunity became available.

Perhaps there are similar courses in colleges in Rajamahendravaram?

--
Dexter
Thanks Dexter's. Tejendra U.
0

Satish’s Answer

0
Hi Tejendra,

I am not sure what student are you now (College, High School, Master etc.). If you want to start career in Networking, I would recommend learn the basics of networking, networking layers, networking principles while you are still in the college and get a firm understanding on those concepts.

Future is all about cloud computing and there will be minimum career opportunities in traditional data centers and everything will be on cloud. Understanding the virtual computing basics is essential before you do any certifications on networking.
Thanks Satish for remembering me about virtualization,and also thanks for saying concepts to prepare in networking,by the way I am a college student. Tejendra U.
0