How to start a career in networking ?

17

I am a student and I want to career in networking how? #networking #cybersecurity#cloud computing #iot #career

17

Anilkumar’s Answer

4
To start with carrier in networking - it would be an advantage to have CCNA certification. Have this certification will help you in getting a Job as Level1/Level2 engineer in Sevice provicer NOC or Planning/deployment teams. With on job exposure you can start pursuing CCNP and CCIE as you go along. In networking you have lots of domains - Enterprise networking (supporting internal networks of organisations/offices - LAN, WAN, wireless, basic security, storate, datacenters etc), Service providers networking (these are ISPs providing network connectivity to organisations/offices - WAN, internet,L3VPN,L2VPN,TV cable networks,Datacenters, basic security), Security networking (covers security products in both enterprise and Service providers), Datacenter & Cloud (these are for cloud/datcenter networking - Servers,storage,switching,basic routing,basic security etc). Based on your interest you can start with any one and as move along you can always gain knowledge from other domains. Important is to first get started and start gaining knowledge via centification and hands on exposure.

Best of luck on your journey.
Thank you AnilKumar ji Kota U. Translate
4

Mitchell’s Answer

2
The standards of your home country are foreign to me, but if it's anything like the American network scene, certifications and degrees are king. If you like cloud computing, Amazon Web Certs are great. If you want more general IT knowledge, CompTIA certs are where to go. There are also various programming certifications to look at if you want to add that to your resume.

And of course, if you can get a degree in the subject, that would be a huge step up. Good luck!

Mitchell recommends the following next steps:

• Amazon Web Certs (generally for people with baseline networking knowledge): https://aws.amazon.com/certification/
  • CompTIA certs go down to the very basics of computer use and go up from there. These are my favorite: https://www.comptia.org/certifications
  • Python is a good place to start if you're into programming: https://pythoninstitute.org/
Mitchell,thanks for answering ,but I need one more favor from your side is I want a path from end to end in networking if possible ? Kota U. Translate
If you want the most clear-cut path in networks, I'll give you the certification order that I would recommend: A+, Security+, Network+, Linux+, Server+, Cloud Essentials+, AWS Cloud Practitioner, and then climb the AWS cert chain on whatever branch you like. Cybersecurity certs are great too. Programming ones are just icing on the cake, but my mentor is a PhD student and he's telling me that because everything is so cloud-based that a lot of network management is going to be custom scripts writting in Python and bash scripts and stuff, so I think it might be helpful to throw them in for getting ready for the future of the field. Mitchell Harrison Translate
Thank you ..😊 Kota U. Translate
Of course! :) Mitchell Harrison Translate
Thank you for the answer, sir! I really appreciate your efforts to provide students like me with the knowledge they need to be successful in the IT and networking field! Aun M. Translate
Absolutely, no problem at all. I enjoy it! Mitchell Harrison Translate
2

Aditya’s Answer

0
Hey, it is a great choice that you have made. The networking field is quite broad, ever developing, quite interesting, and has good pay.
For an introduction, the networking field encompasses a lot of topics like routing and switching in networks, virtualization, Internet of Things, 5G architecture, network security, and many more.

For a brief introduction to all these topics, I would personally recommend starting out the topics mentioned in the CCNA syllabus. CCNA exam offers a good peek into the wide world of networking by briefly touching all these topics mentioned. After you have a broad understanding of the topics, you should be able able to deep dive and select your niche.

Focus on building strong foundations and having knowledge of basic practical know-how of the applications and hardware which is used to build a network topology.

Besides having a CCNA certification will really help in your hiring prospects as a network engineer. That I would say will be a great starting point. You can learn more using this link https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/s/ccna-exam-topics
0

Sanoop’s Answer

0
To start a networking carrer, it would be worthwhile to invest most or all of your initial time to learn the fundamentals of computer-networking. Learning the fundamental is key to how can one progress with the evolution happening around it. This is true for any skill.From the computer-networking perspective, it would help to know the history of networking , how it came to be and what where the design principle to come up with some thing as TCP/IP etc. This will help to set the context.And can be built upon the strong base knowledge.Certifaction can really happen as a byproduct of this knowledge. There are a lot of resources avaialable out on the internet.
0

Satish’s Answer

0
Hi Tejendra,

I am not sure what student are you now (College, High School, Master etc.). If you want to start career in Networking, I would recommend learn the basics of networking, networking layers, networking principles while you are still in the college and get a firm understanding on those concepts.

Future is all about cloud computing and there will be minimum career opportunities in traditional data centers and everything will be on cloud. Understanding the virtual computing basics is essential before you do any certifications on networking.
Thanks Satish for remembering me about virtualization,and also thanks for saying concepts to prepare in networking,by the way I am a college student. Kota U. Translate
0

K’s Answer

0
Join social sites that concentrate on business - LinkedIn etc.

Create as many contacts as possible on LinkedIn and utilize the people that do connect with you to work your networking type of business. You can also use local sites via Facebook to create a community to network with and through --
0

Dexter’s Answer

0
Hi Tejendra,

I'm not sure what opportunities you have in India, but I had a friend who became a successful network engineer by earning an "Enterprise Networking" Associate Degree at a local community college (https://www.foothill.edu/onlinelearning/students/aa_courses/aa_enterprise_networking.html). He was working in IT (doing desktop support) while he earned the degree, then transferred to the networking team as a junior network engineer when the opportunity became available.

Perhaps there are similar courses in colleges in Rajamahendravaram?

--
Dexter
Thanks Dexter's. Kota U. Translate
0