I love watching movies and tv shows and I want to do something in this field. But I dont know what to do?

I am a postgraduate student doing marketing. I want to write, but I have never written before, I want to do the marketing work, but I don't have the necessary experience. I want to work with big brands but there is just so much information available over the internet that I don't know where to start from. #marketing #college #social-work

7

Caitlin’s Answer

Hi Vrinda,

It sounds as if you are interested in both content creation and content distribution. Let me address each one separately:

Writing - My father once told me, "A writer is someone who writes" -- meaning that you won't improve the craft without starting, doing, working, revising. So please don't let the lack of formal training in this area stop you! That said, it is a skill -- and I am sure there are now virtual classes/workshops you could join. You might be inspired by watching a "master class" video on the art of writing and I have read more than one useful book on the fundamentals of writing a screenplay.

From a practical perspective, if you want to get closer to the seeing the craft in action, there are jobs that most people don't know exist that could be helpful. For example, some televisions shows use "script reviewers" to make sure that the script for a particular episode a) makes plot sense and b) feels consistent for the characters. It's not my field - I just happened to live in LA for a while....It looks as if you are based in India. Have you checked in with India Film and Television Institute for any ideas?

Distribution -- This is where your marketing background already lends itself to breaking into the field. Television and film are "products" that need to reach consumers. Amazon India just announced a series of Indian films going straight to prime rather than to movie theaters. Both Amazon and the film production companies need and want consumers to watch those films - - that's where marketing comes in.

Content consumption is one activity that is definitely "up" these days, so I believe with some homework and effort, you can find an entry point. Good luck!

Caitlin recommends the following next steps:

Follow up with film/media schools to understand different roles/jobs in the industry
Saved!
Identify leading producers of television and film content
Saved!
Identify leading distributors of media content
Saved!
Write your resume to highlight how your current marketing skills transfer over
Saved!
Join an online writing workshop
Saved!

1

Matt’s Answer

Hi Vrinda, what's great about opportunity today is there are so many ways to forge a path in entertainment and advertising. Yes, you could connect with the right person on LinkedIn or reach out and shadow someone at a movie studio or ad agency. I have done both during my college years and the experience was invaluable.

But in today's rapidly changing world of success stories to land key jobs, my recommendation is to look for a challenger brand or emerging brand that is just enter the marketplace. Reach out to them and see if they are interested in some pro bono work, be it copy writing, design, social media strategy to grow awareness. If they by chance accept your work and it gets the brand some attention, include that in your portfolio and continue to build. That way when you start to knock on doors of a studio or agency, you have some real world wins that showcase your creativity and the results they garnered. It's a little non-traditional, but as someone who hires staff, I like seeing that work as I get a glimpse at the output the candidate could provide. Best,

Matt

0

Amy’s Answer

The great thing about writing is that anyone can start at any time. Here are some ideas -

Who are your favorite writers? What do you like about their style? Are any of them alive and active on social media? If so, follow their accounts and see what advice they offer. You can also reach out and ask specific questions.

Take online courses or watch webinars on brand marketing.

What brands do you like on social media? Search linked in for people who may be behind those jobs and reach out and ask if you could send them a few questions.

Internships and assistant positions are the best place to start. If you can't intern due to needing a college course, when you're ready, look for assistant work, and hopefully with someone who will mentor you. Then set time with them each week and ask about their process.

0

Simeon’s Answer

I think you would do well looking at journalism and seeing if you would like pursuing being a movie critic. You could put your history of movie watching and knowledge of films to use for comparing and contrasting films as well as understanding trends in the industry as a whole. Plus, in journalism, you can work on building a broad skill set of writing, editing, and software skills, so that you can manage your way career-wise until a job opportunity you like opens up for you.

0

Ereka’s Answer

GoogleTV & movie studio marketing jobs

Area of interest: Marketing manager, Director, Executive, Product manager, Media strategist, CoordinatorAccount manager, Android engineer, AssociateData engineer, Development manager, Operations coordinator, OutreachProducer, Project manager, Research manager, Software engineer, Strategist

Good Luck!

Ereka recommends the following next steps:

Google TV & Movie Marketing Jobs
Saved!
Determine area of interest
Saved!
Fine online training to gain more insight
Saved!
Apply, some may have entry level for on job training
Saved!

0

Rita’s Answer

Best places to break into the TV or movie business is NYC or Los Angeles. You could try to get your foot into the door by taking a lower position and get to be assigned to some marketing projects o show off your skills. Disney is always hiring so maybe you could get an apprentice position there possibly. I would also recommend you start a LinkedIn profile and build your network with professionals in the same field you are trying to enter. Sometimes it's not what you know, it's who you know. Good luck.

0