Odot I.’s Avatar

Odot I.

81

2

How do you cross into the Management Consulting space with no experience?

I am interested in pursuing management consulting and I like working on projects that are value adds to companies. I stumbled upon this realization when I had an internship during my undergraduate career. I am now pursuing a Master in Finance and work in the Financial Services industry. #finance #corporate

Hi Odot I am a management consultant that focuses on what we call "Financial Effectiveness." What we do is largely process-driven and focused on streamlining the finance function for our clients. Our clients include corporate retailers, industrial products and service providers, and financial services institutions. While we work in the finance function, we mainly add value by thinking through the different processes, recognizing inefficiencies, and implementing new technologies or strategies. I think this might sound like what you are looking to do, so please know that the job exists out there! Begin to research large firms (such as "the big 4," being KPMG, PwC, EY, and Deloitte) as well as smaller consulting firms that might specialize in Corporate Finance. This is an area where you can provide management consulting services, while utilizing your finance skills. That being said, I came into this position without experience in management consulting in particular. Most firms (especially the larger ones) are confident in their internal resources and the ability to train their new hires. What is important is that you make connections with people in the firm you are looking into, and are confident in your interview skills. Specific management consulting experience is not necessarily required for lower level positions. Hope this helps! Best of luck to you! Erin
Last updated Aug 24 '17 at 15:58

It may be tricky to work in consulting outside of your expertise. If you want to go into finance consulting i think you are an ideal fit.

Last updated Jun 25 '16 at 02:13
If your currently a student I would reach out to your careers centres and see what consultancy firms that have relationships with. Secondly I would reach out to alumni and try to set up coffee chats and network your way in for a role.
Last updated Oct 28 '17 at 13:23