5 answers
Asked Viewed 95 times Translate

Are there any certificate licensed jobs I can get as an undergraduate other than a registered behavioral therapist that relate to the field of psychology?

Psych and Neuroscience second year undergrad student. I have a friends who enjoys teaching and is currently working as an RBT. I was curious if there are any other similar types of jobs which are true professions that I can begin as an undergrad without a bachelor's degree. #psychology #college #career

+25 Karma if successful
From: You
To: Friend
Subject: Career question for you
100% of 5 Pros

5 answers

Updated Translate

Gurpreet’s Answer

Hi Christopher,

When I was completing my psych undergrad, I was also in a very similar boat of trying to find hands on psychology related opportunities. I had a hard time finding paid roles that would give me the experience I was looking for so I turned to volunteer roles. I would highly recommend looking into volunteering with the Crisis Textline where you get to talk to texters who are going through a crisis and help walk them through their feelings. It can be difficult but it's rewarding and directly related to the field.

100% of 2 Pros
Updated Translate

Krissy’s Answer

While I was going through school to become a marriage and family therapist, I worked 2nd/3rd shift for CIGNA Behavioral Health Insurance as an Afterhours Advocate. I took a mixture of insurance-related calls - helping clients find a list of mental health providers, coaching callers on their benefits, referring them to their company's employee assistance programs - and crisis calls. While an unlicensed advocate such as myself was not allowed to provide therapeutic services to the crisis callers - I had to hand those calls off to a licensed mental health professional - I learned a great deal through this job about the mental health insurance system, resources available to people with and without insurance, and gained skills in crisis management, triage, and de-escalation. It was an opportunity for me to put a few of my new counseling skills into practice, and to observe other licensed professionals as they handled the incoming calls.

100% of 1 Pros
Updated Translate

Sarah’s Answer

Depending upon the state you want to work in, you may be able to become an addictions counselor (LADCP).

Updated Translate

Gemma’s Answer

Dear Christopher,

It would depend on the state you live in. Most states require a Master's Degree to be a licensed therapist. What you can do is do research on organizations, clinics, or places you can work as a trainee or shadow or intern, if possible. You can also look into jobs with different kinds of behavioral therapy such as CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). I would also suggest doing informational interviews on people who work in the field to explore the behavioral therapy and see what would be a best fit in the direction you want to go in the RBT field. I hope this helps!

Updated Translate

Kate’s Answer

I earned my undergraduate degree in Psychology and I entered the field of Human Resources. There are several Industrial Organizational psychology courses that align well with the "psychology of teams and work." I have really enjoyed this field - being in business, but focusing on the people side.