How can I learn to train service dogs?

2

I love dogs and training them and I am interested in service dog training #service #disabilities #dogs

2

Carolyn’s Answer

1

Volunteering at local rescues and humane societies and training your own dog basic commands are vital 1st steps. After mastering basic commands I would suggest training your dog to pass the Good Canine Citizen Test (http://www.akc.org/dog-owners/training/canine-good-citizen/) and then an Animal Assisited Therapy test (most volunteer organizations have their own specific tests). I would also suggest searching to the see if your area has a non-profit service dog training organization to volunteer at. Canine Companions for Independence is the largest in non profit assistance animal the US (CCI.org)

1

Jess’s Answer

0

I'd start by getting some general dog handling skills under your belt! You can go to your local SPCA or animal rescue and apply to be a volunteer, they typically have training courses for you to learn basic dog handling and it's a great place to practice!

0