In your opinion is it better to study away from home or closer to your family?

7

Dinah’s Answer

I think it depends on how well you can adapt with change. I am a first year pharmacy student and I moved from Illinois to Indiana for pharmacy school. I do okay with change, so with this change, it took me a few weeks to adapt living alone. My pharmacy school is only 2 hours away from Illinois, so I can drive back whenever I can. My family and I are super close and we talk constantly on the phone, so this helps me not get homesick. I was homesick for the first 3 weeks, but it slowly went away. Everything takes time, and made me so much more independent. So, think long and hard before moving across states.

0

Steven’s Answer

This is never a "one size fits all" topic - you may want to read the thread and copy advice into "pros" and "cons", and then review them that way - if one column outweighs the other it helps to make an objective choice - which can be hard as emotions will always weigh into this decision as well.

In short my personal experience - I went to a college 90 miles away from my parents/hometown, and my two children did the same (they both moved back to the Detroit area after college.

I think "away from home" is almost always the way to go. Primarily for the experience and skills you can't gain otherwise. I think academically its a wash - you'll attain your degree either way. But living on your own "forces" you to grow and learn and experience new things that you won't otherwise experience. You will likely have more "alone" time than you would get at home and that's valuable to help you learn about who you are as an individual, apart from your role within your family.

This may be one of the few time in your life where the opportunity presents itself - go for it!

0

Joshua’s Answer

Hi Daniela,

Cameren's points are definitely good ones but I want to provide a different perspective. I am an international student originally from the Middle East and am studying in the U.S. - so I am not at home very often. There are some challenges with not being able to visit family frequently but studying away from home somewhat forces you to be independent. This inability to be at home often has forced me to not only take on new challenges, such as pushing myself to go out to new events to meet new people, but has also given me the opportunity to focus on myself more. The latter point is something that I truly value as it allowed me to travel more to different parts of the country while also giving me the chance to explore careers that I wouldn't have had the chance to if I was closer to home.

Of course, this all depends on your family dynamic. My family is quite close but believes in developing time apart from one another however I know of many families that don't think this way, so it really does depend on your situation.

Hope this helped provide another perspective and let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
Josh

Thank you!! Daniela T.

0

Steven’s Answer

0

Bryce’s Answer

Hi Daniella,

I went away for college from Ohio to Florida, so I think I have a great perspective for answering this question. There are a couple things I was able to figure out by going away for college. I feel I became a stronger individual, both in my beliefs and socially. Also, being away from home truly teaches you what life is like on your own. On the other hand being so far away from home is very difficult. It puts strain on relationships with your family and friends. You have no supports near you, and no real other people that can help you in a time of need. I have found that being a young adult is a lot easier when you are near family and loved ones compared to being far away.

0

EJ’s Answer

I think it depends on who you are. I studied far away from home and it was tough for me and didn't do well. However, that experience taught me to be independent. I transferred to a different school which was much further than the first one and did much better. I would recommend to study far away. It's not easy but it'll help you to grow stronger and you'll learn how to be independent.

0

Shelby’s Answer

Like others are saying, it really does depend on each individual! However, if you are financially stable and are ready for a taste of independence, I would suggest trying to live away from home. Schools offer resources, such as food plans and transportation, that will help you if you are not ready for 100% independence. I found that going to live in a dorm has significantly increased the amount of time I have to study, take care of myself, and have a social life. I also live about an hour away from home, so I can easily go back and see my parents and pets, grab anything I missed/need, or just take a break from being independent. I hope you figure out what is best for you!

0

Cameren’s Answer

The answer to this question is entirely specific on you and your relationship with your family. If you are really close to your parents or your siblings and think you may not be happy at a college that is so far away that you can't make trips home you may want to stick to somewhere closer to home. However, if you are asking this question just because you are a little nervous for the first time staying away from home I would suggest looking at universities that are a few hours away. This way you have an opportunity to explore your new freedom and become independent but are still able to travel home if you want.

Thank you!! Daniela T.

0