What is the most important thing to keep in mind when choosing a college?

1

Choosing a college seems scary to me. I don't want to make a decision and end up going to a school where I don't fit. #students #college-choice

1

Aly’s Answer

0
Hi Lauren,

I think three of the most important things to consider when looking at colleges is 1. Strength of your major at the school (i.e. limit your search to schools that have your major), 2. Cost of the school/scholarships/financial aid, 3. Location of the school, and 4. Size of the school.

1. We go to college to get an education, to help us in our future positions. If you want to be an engineer, for example, you would want to go to a school that has a strong engineering program, so you will be better prepared in your future engineering jobs. Also, the strength of the program (and how well-known the school is for that major) can help you land your first job post graduation.
2. Cost is something very important that needs to be considered. If you can get the same education at a school that costs significantly less, my personal recommendation would be to go to the less expensive school. Too often these days, students graduate with large amounts of debt, and then enter careers that will take them most of their life to pay back the loans. So, price is a large piece of the puzzle.
3. I would recommend picking a school in the area you want to live/work post graduation. I personally didn't do that, but it would have been advantageous if I had. The reason being, many companies source potential employees locally, so you are more likely to get local companies at your college's career fairs, etc, and it will be easier to find a job there post graduation (plus they will recognize your school more).
4. Think about the size of the school you are comfortable with. Do you prefer smaller class sizes, a smaller campus, or would you like to have the large school environment?

This is just my personal advice, but wherever you end up, just make the most of your time in school!
#college-selection #college-advice
0