What advice would you have for anyone trying to become a Radiologist?

3

Radiology is an exciting and dynamic field. For me personally, the procedures are the most exciting. For example, we recently introduced Y-90 radioembolization at our hospital. This provides a new opportunity to treat liver cancers and prolong lives.

In the US, to apply to medical school, you need a bachelor's degree. Any 4-year university should suffice.
Pick a major that interests you so you don't mind devoting a majority of your hours to studying. You will need to get good grades in college in order to apply for medical school. At the medical school I attended, the average GPA is reported to be 3.85, so even one or two B's can hurt your chances of acceptance.
Aside from this, any major is acceptable as long as you complete the prerequisite courses. I chose to major in biochemistry because there was overlap with the premed requirements and I wanted to complete my degree in 3 years.
Typical medical school prerequisites include:
Biology: Lecture – 4 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
General Chemistry: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Organic Chemistry: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Biochemistry: Lecture – 1 semester
General Physics: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Math: Statistics – 1 semester
English: Rhetoric (Composition) and Literature – 2 semesters
Try to find opportunities to pursue research.
Volunteer at your local hospital or low-income clinic. Ask physicians, PAs or other clinical providers if you can shadow them.
During college study for and complete the MCAT. Devote an entire summer to studying for the MCAT and consider paying for a prep course if you can afford it.
My son used MCAT Complete 7-Book Subject Review 2019-2020: Online + Book + 3 Practice Tests (Kaplan Test Prep) Kaplan Test Prep
It was about $140 and he achieved his goal score.
Apply to medical schools during your last year of college.

0

Morgan’s Answer

My advice would be to stay organized and practice managing your time well. Try to study smarter not harder! Focus on doing the best you can on your exams and figure out what your weak areas are so that you can make improvements. Also, I would shadow a radiologist physician to experience their daily activities. Community service and patient interaction is also a great way to get involved. Volunteering will help you enhance your communication skills, leadership skills, etc. Was this helpful?

0

Estelle’s Answer

My advice: work really hard in school. Great grades will open so many doors and teach you study skills that will support you through college and medical school. Once in medical school, you will have the opportunity to explore different specialties like radiology. It's a super exciting field with amazing technological advances.

0