I am an Electrical Engineer, but I was interested in cars and businesses. My professional life and my passions both are different so what should I choose? My professional life or my passion!
I am post graduated student from Electrical Engineering string. #counseling #motivation #career_counseling #path #engineering
It's common to have conflicts between the passion and academics. As you said you're passionate about cars and business, I would advise you to find the opportunity with the automobile sector matching your academic background. Now you may have observed that automobile sector in India is rapidly progressing towards the electrical vehicles. That may provide you the ample opportunities to pursue your passion using your academics. Once you get enough experince and knowledge about the field you can even start your small business related to automobile electric equipment.
Krista recommends the following next steps:
- Do a decent job in your current work responsibilities so that it pays the bills.
- Focus most of your free time in building your skills in the field that you are passionate about.
- Look for opportunities to contribute your time in helping others in this field for free so that you build up reputation and knowledge.
Repeat the above 3 steps and I think you should end up getting calls to work in the field that you are passionate about.
I agree with both Duane and Krista's views. I have seen young graduates go 3 different ways.
1. To choose a profession which they are passionate about.
2. Graduates end up choosing a profession that their parents wanted the kids to choose (of course, of late this trend is gradually reducing).
3. When one is really motivated and focussed, one could put their passion to use after their work-life (example a part-time musician).
I would recommend finding a profession that you are passionate about. Car manufacturing needs Electrical engineers so you can put your passion to work. After working for a couple of years, You could also do an MBA and learn to become an entrepreneur. With the advent of EV in the automobile industry, there is greater focus and emphasis on electrical engineering.
I am sure all of us would love to hear about how your career has shaped up.
Wishing you good luck.
Many students come across kind of similar queries when it comes to Passion Vs Profession. If you are really a passionate about Cars then I would say this is the right time for you to knock the doors of an automotive industry. Definitely need to prepare/equipped yourself with some additional things on top of your knowledge in Electrical engineering.
As you know, the auto industry is getting revolutionised around hybrid cars, electric cars and even looking forward for driverless smart cars. And they are definitely looking for talent there. There are different departments where you can think of going into like,
- Car contains various embedded devices which needs background of embedded device programming.
- The Electric cars contains everything that effectively and efficiently tries to run on a battery power. Almost all car manufacturers in India are investing their R&D in electric cars. IMO you have good opportunities there.
- There is also an emerging field of Virtual reality and digitalisation in auto industry. It mostly done by using various softwares out in the market. And there are various online courses to learn those softwares as well.
- If you are interested in programming and want to explore various researches going on for next gen driverless or smart cars, you can try to learn Machine Learning or couple of scripting, functional programming languages and start with internship to gain more expertise there.
At the end I would strongly recommend to connect your passion with the profession. It definitely helps to grow your career in long run!
In life you always want to follow what you are passionate about. That is where the saying "if you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life." follow those things that excite you. The money will follow right along with it as well.