Is it necessary to acquire an Undergraduate Degree before pursuing MBA?

I'm planning to directly pursue MBA after completing High School and was wondering if it's advisable. Kindly share your views on being a business professional since I would really love to get a few more insights on business. Thanks in advance! business

6

Kevin’s Answer

From what I recall here in the US, most if not all MBA programs require candidates to have a undergraduate degree. It would be rare to have no undergraduate degree and get acceptance. It doesn't necessary matter what undergraduate degree you obtain to pursue an MBA. However, it does make sense to find something one enjoys, work a few years, and then compliment it with an MBA afterwards.

I pursued a undergraduate program in the field of Business with an emphasis on Information Technology. I considered getting my MBA but have decided to forgo it given the opportunity costs of time and tuition debt. In the IT space (especially cyber security), the demand and growth potential is great without the expectation of a MBA degree ! A MBA is generally viewed as a " nice to have" to sell yourself above other candidates but it not as crucial as other professionals. In lieu of an MBA, I did complete other technical certifications which was very helpful in advancing my career. Such certifications are recognized as competitive as having an MBA but without the massive tuition investment or the investment of time. That's something to consider. :)

Thank you Mr. Kevin, your answer brought in quite an interesting perspective. I'll definitely consider it! Indhu H.

2

Rebecca’s Answer

In addition to the comments , I would highly recommend several years of real-world experience prior to pursuing an MBA. While not all programs require this (some do), there is great value in being able to apply what you are learning to your actual business experience as opposed to a theoretical understanding of how things work.
1

electra’s Answer

Its important to get your degree first before you do an MBA as its a higher education certificate.
I would also advise you that before you enroll on an MBA, you acquire work experience at least 2-3 years. Like this, you can relate to previous examples and experience while doing the course and you will benefits and get the most out of the MBA. I would say work experience is crucial before any MBA is considered.
0

Mansi’s Answer

The short answer is NO . In general, schools do not require a specific undergraduate major in order to apply for a Master of Business Administration. An MBA can further your career goals, whether your undergraduate degree is in music, medicine, engineering, or liberal arts.
0

Mansi’s Answer

The short answer is no. In general, schools do not require a specific undergraduate major in order to apply for a Master of Business Administration. An MBA can further your career goals, whether your undergraduate degree is in music, medicine, engineering, or liberal arts.
0

Omar’s Answer

Kevin’s answer is correct and MBA degree is a masters degree followed after obtaining a bachelors degree. I recommend taking some business courses and possibly finding a niche within business to focus on. The purpose of the MBA was to give other degrees the business acumen to be even more successful. For example, I have a Bachelors in Electrical Engineering and obtained my MBA to move up through my career and it has allowed me to do that by giving me a broader business background. Hope that helps.
0

Felicia’s Answer

Kevin and Omar gave great inputs on how MBA is typically obtained after a Bachelor's degree. Additionally, many job opportunities can be obtained with a Bachelor's degree. In the course of working, you may even change your mind on the necessity of getting a MBA degree. In my experience, getting a Bachelor's degree was sufficient in getting a job in the US and even relocating to Asia for work. Typically an MBA can help to open up additional opportunities or help you switch into a new area, but definitely is not a necessity for all business professionals. Having some solid experience prior to getting a post-graduate degree will also help you maximize the investment if you decide to go back to school, as many interviewers will look for work experience when hiring.
0