I want to be a psychiatrist. Is it worth all of the schooling?

5

Margaret’s Answer

Yes! I became a counselor supervisor but decided not to pursue psychiatry. Although I've been happy in my career, I wish I would have continued my schooling and gone to medical school for psychiatry!
0

It is! You can work for others or start your own practice! Good thing is the availability of choice!
0

Ashley’s Answer

I'm not in OH, but in MA there is always a need for them, ESPECIALLY child physiatrists!

Hi Ashley, this is great information to know, but it doesn’t really address the student’s question. Could you talk a little bit more about whether you think the schooling is worth it compared to the need for psychiatrists that you mentioned? Alexandra Carpenter, CareerVillage.org Team

0

Yasemin’s Answer

Hi Kelsey! My brother has begun his residency just this year in Psychiatry. Healthcare is a beautiful field in my opinion, because you have the chance to make a difference for others. Schooling is long true, 4 years college, 4 years medical school plus residency based on the specialty (4 years for Psychiatry, but you are paid during this time) but if you love this field then time shouldn't be an obstacle. I would recommend to get experience working alongside patients like volunteering in a hospital and shadowing a physician; this will allow you to be more certain in the healthcare path.

I wish you the best!
0

Susan Delphine’s Answer

You must think carefully before you choose medicine. A doctor in Texas, in a multi-doc group, excitedly told his colleagues that his daughter had been accepted to med school ALL of his colleagues extended their sympathies.

Medicine has changed. There is a ton more paperwork. The Electronic Medical Record forces you to look away from the patient to type. Insurers are paying less and less. Medicare has strict rules with HUGE penalties for a line item mistake.

Who knows what changes will come next. I, along with 50% of my psychiatrist colleagues, have stopped taking insurance and work on a cash basis only. This lets me spend more time with patients. I have a one person office, it is just me and I do all of the taking new calls, calling in prescriptions and doing followup calls. It works for me.
0