What do electrical engineers do?

I'm 15 years old. I'm not so creative and I'm not to good being social. I like the outdoors. I don't see myself as smart, but a lot of people think I am.
#engineer #electrical Engineer

4

Sheila’s Answer

Hello Oliverio:

Thank you for your question. You've received great advice from Caitlin; I'd like to add to it for your consideration.

WHAT ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS DO
Electrical Engineers design, develop, test, and supervise the manufacture of electrical equipment, such as electric motors, radar and navigation systems, communications systems, or power generation equipment. Electrical engineers also design the electrical systems of automobiles and aircraft.

DUTIES
• Design new ways to use electrical power to develop or improve products
• Perform detailed calculations to develop manufacturing, construction, and installation standards and specifications
• Direct the manufacture, installation, and testing of electrical equipment to ensure that products meet specifications and codes
• Investigate complaints from customers or the public, evaluate problems, and recommend solutions
• Work with project managers on production efforts to ensure that projects are completed satisfactorily, on time, and within budget

HOW TO BECOME ONE
Electrical Engineers must have a bachelor’s degree. Employers also value practical experience, such as internships or participation in cooperative engineering programs, in which students earn academic credit for structured work experience.

I wish you much success on your journey. Best of luck to you!

~ Sheila

Sheila recommends the following next steps:

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/electrical-and-electronics-engineers.htm#tab-2

0

Seni’s Answer

Majority of engineers I worked with are not sociable, but they are ready to help if a team member has a question.
Engineers think outside the box to resolve problems. When resolving problems, everyone’s ideas are used to come up with solutions (and alternative solutions).
I know a lot of people who think they are not smart, but they are.
I know that if you are motivated and study hard and do your homework, get helped when needed; love Mathematics and Science; you will be able to become an engineer. You can do it! You just have to put time into it.

Being a Electrical Engineer (EE) and I&C Design Engineer in the nuclear field, I performed design modifications of obsolete components (finding an alternate replacement to incorporate into the field). I also resolved upcoming issues that we encountered in the plant, etc.
My advice to you is to go visit one or two engineering firms in your town and hopefully you will have the chance to collaborate with an EE engineer to help you decide if you want to be an engineer.
Seni

Seni recommends the following next steps:

Visit engineering universities with ABET programs: https://amspub.abet.org/aps/name-search?searchType=institution
Online Engineering universities with ABET programs: https://www.abet.org/accreditation/find-programs/
Visit engineering organizations
go to Youtube.com and type what electrical engineer do
Go to Youtube.com and type how nuclear energy work

0

Caitlin’s Answer

Start reading the National Electrical Code (NEC) now! You’ll want to be good at math and formulas and calculations. Interaction with people may be necessary, but accuracy with your documentation is probably more paramount. Many engineers will work indoors at a computer looking at drawings, but field work and installation will be part of the job too. Invest in a good pair of work boots. Learn common symbols and notations used in construction work. Also consider the safety end of engineering work; work site inspections continue to be important. There are lots of jobs in the electrical field: designers and power plant operators, commercial or residential installations, even theme park ride control.

Caitlin recommends the following next steps:

Consider finding a good trade school with electronics training
Read an “Ugly’s” electrical reference book
The NEC should be accessible online for reference

0

You will grow a ton in the next several years, so don't focus too much on your qualities now.

I have a degree in EE though I don't work in the field. It's very different than being an electrician and very broad. I have friends who work on huge power systems where they deal with thousands of volts. They're always in a truck or on a job site. I also have friends who design antennas for mobile devices. They spend a lot of time in the lab. Other friends work in the biomedical field.

EE is a great degree to get because it lends you an understanding of many disciplines of engineering.

0