I really have no clue what I should do for my career. Any suggestions?

I love to read and I love to write. I would love to be a writer but I think my best shot at getting close to that would to become an editor. I am a division 1 college gymnast and I want to try to become a stunt performer for film but these career choices are not very reliable at all. Suggestions? #careers #film #writing

6

Lilly’s Answer

Hi Christie!

Thanks for coming to Career Village to get connected to mentors like me!

So, what I would suggest for you to assist in your career goals is:

1. Grab a notebook and write down all the things in your life that make you happy. For example, my dog, helping my friends by working through their problems, writing fictional stories, Youtube videos, photography, film, acting etc.

2. Write down all the things that you are good at. For example: I'm really good at coming up with new business ideas, I'm really good at taking photos with photographers, I'm really good at fashion etc.

3. Ask your friends and family what they think you're good at. Write those things down to your list.

4. Take everything you are good at, and what makes you happy and see if there is something that matches. Once you find that one thing that stands out to you, get laser-focused on that one thing.

5. Do research on your topic and see what it takes to get there. Whether that means degrees you must obtain, the research you must perform, money you must make to invest. Whatever it is, you set yourself up for that goal and that goal is going to be your life long mission. Now that thing can change over time, but if you start early, you will become successful faster and at a younger age. No worries if things change over time, but staying focused on each goal is the way to become successful.

Thank you Lilly! Moon M.

4

Louise’s Answer

Hi Christie,

I say if you know you want to be a writer or stunt performer, go for it. You'll never know if you could do it unless you try.

For writing, the first thing to explore is what kind of writing you want to do. Do you like writing novels, short stories, non-fiction, plays, poetry, blog posts, news articles, etc.? There may even be kinds of writing out there that you aren't aware of. For example, you could be a copywriter like me and write the words that go into ads (TV and radio scripts, website copy, billboards, etc.). You could write the storylines for a videogame or theme park ride. There are so many possibilities.

For stunt performing, research what it takes and read as much about it as possible. See if there are classes you can take and auditions you can take part in. See if there's a community for stunt performers that you can be a part of. If there are professional stunt performers you love, reach out to them and ask their advice.

2

Koryn’s Answer

In addition to the above advice (great advice by the way!), it's inevitable that you have to start somewhere. Sometimes opportunities come along that seem too good to pass up or sometimes you have to really search and work hard to get access to an opportunity. As long as you keep trying, something will come your way. Once you start that job, jot down everything about it that you like and everything about it that you dislike. If you find yourself looking to change career paths after you've started a job, then that job was totally worth it! Sometimes it is easy to get down on yourself for "wasting time" at something you've come to realize you don't like. But, you would've never known you didn't like it without trying!

Another word of advice is no matter where you start your career, you can use those experiences and soft skills when you interview for jobs in other industries. For example, I thought I wanted to do fashion, but soon decided it wasn't the right career path for me. I used my experience in fashion and tailored it to the next job I was applying for - explaining in detail the similarities between my career in fashion and this new role I was applying to!

1

lily’s Answer

Hey Christie! I don't know too much about stuntman, but I do know about writing!

There's a lot of different things you can do with writing besides writing books or being an editor. If you like to read up on different topics, you could become a technical writer. If you enjoy communicating with others and reading up on the latest news, you could try journalism and become a reporter. You can also become an educator if you enjoy teaching and book analysis. Your best bet is to read up on different career fields in writing and also see if you can get a volunteer position or internship at a local company that would allow you to shadow a writer or even intern as one in a paid/unpaid position. Good luck!

1

James’s Answer

Hi Christie, my thoughts are along the same line as Lilly's...she hit upon basically everything that you should consider. You are young so please don't feel like your first decision will be your last. Life is about living it. If you try one thing and it doesn't work out, then move to something else. However, stay true to your heart and passion. Don't worry about the money. If you are true to your passion, the money will come. There are so many folks that make lots of money, but are miserable at what they do. Don't become one of the sheep. Be an innovator of your life. And don't let the naysayers change your heart !!

Awww! Thanks! That's so inspirational! Moon M.

1