Should I minor in Marketing/Sales?

I want to become a Sales Engineer and the odds would definitely be in my favor if I majored in an engineering field. However, several people have told me that marketing/sales skills and abilities can be picked up about anywhere in life (be it online or at a community college). Could my minor be spent on something more glorious or should I take the chance by choosing marketing/sales. #college #engineering #career #professional #marketing #sales

10

Great question. I you want to be a sales engineer my advice would be to major in engineering as you suggested and minor in sales/marketing for best chance. The best Sales engineers are people who are really smart technically and can also communicate effectively, convey information and or sell. You could also minor in communications or marketing or sales or business. It is ok if you want a different minor as long as you have the engineering but consider the other minor categories mentioned above. Best traits for you will be technical ability along with credibility and ability to communicate. Go for it!

John

Thank you Sir Anand R.

2

Shoshana’s Answer

I am not convinced that the minor will make a difference long term. I went to Carnegie Mellon for Engineering no minor and I am successful sales manager now.Your major in engineering will be intense as is. If you have other passions you want to explore as a minor, take this opportunity to do so.

Thank you mam Anand R.

1

Balakrishnan’s Answer

Best to pick sales skills on the job. Suggest to gain some sales experience, be it part time or full time.

Thank you sir Anand R.

1

Nouha’s Answer

I would say majoring in engineering for a career in sales engineer as you suggested is important and minoring is marketing/sales or business is a great way to understand how a business operates, but at the same time back it up with experience in the marketing/sales field to get a hands-on experience on how that side of the business works (buying and selling, building relationships and so forth).

1

Charlotte’s Answer

I have studied Marketing and Economics but the experience that has moved me forward the most is the ability to understand other cultures, and work with other cultures. This is something you cannot study at uni. If you get an opportunity to to work abroad, practise your language skills and get an understanding for how the rest of the world works - do so : )

Thank you sir Anand R.

1

Liuv’s Answer

I would. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what degree you if you can't sell what's the point. Even none sales jobs you always have something to sell, it all starts in the interview. Even doctors have to sell their expertise in the interview. Just saying. Learn a skill, show others, start a course, and mentor others. Then go into real estate. There I just gave you 5 sources of income, average millionaire has 7. Take care. Stay humble when on top but always hungry.

0

Kevin’s Answer

I've worked as a sales and marketing professional. For me, sales was more about intuition and on-the-job experience whereas I've used frameworks and research that I learned in school for marketing projects. That being said, I nor many of my colleagues majored in marketing, but more often in more basic disciplines like sociology, psychology, and economics, whose concepts can be applied to marketing. Majoring in these more basic disciplines may give you more flexibility, as you could choose to go into a marketing career or you could choose another career path.

Kevin recommends the following next steps:

Ask teachers in other disciplines about how their field of study could be relevant to marketing or sales.

0

Doug’s Answer

Yes, companies are looking for candidates with great communication skills.  The ability to listen and articulate ideas will differentiate you from other candidates.  Sales and Marketing careers are very rewarding if  you enjoy working with people and growing revenue for your company.

0

Lindsey’s Answer

Hi! I recently graduated and majored in Marketing / Business Analytics and got a certificate in Professional Selling. This was one of the best decisions that I could have made -- particularly as it relates to sales. A lot of college graduates -- regardless of their majors -- will begin their careers in some sort of sales role. Having professional selling training is very marketable when searching for your first internship or career. So yes, I do recommend majoring in Sales.

0

Mike’s Answer

I have been in Sales Engineering for over 20 years. I have hired some excellent SEs with technical degrees and some history majors. I myself don't have a technical degree. No one was studying Cloud Computing in the early 90s. I could not have anticipated this wave coming, but I was able to ride it. If you have the core skills, your major is less important. If you want to minor in sales, fine, but ten years from now no one will care what you majored in. Take the classes to help you develop the necessary skills and hone your talents. As part of a sales team, you absolutely must have sales DNA, I have seen engineers who never cross this chasm. You need to have the curiosity, the problem solving skills, the persistence, the communication skills. How you get there is less important.

Mike recommends the following next steps:

If you have not already done so, go out and sell something. Anything really. Magazine subscriptions or Jamba Juice, you will learn how to listen to customer's needs and solve their problems.

0