Which one is better, zoologist or veterinarian?

I am a sophomore in Utah. I love both zoology and veterinary science. I just dont know what degree I want to get into. I also don't know which one will benefit me the most while I am in High school (where there isnt much areas to work in these degrees). Big animals and small animals are the same in my book, but having to decide between the two is hard. #veterinarian #zoology #highschoolstudent #animals

3

Corey’s Answer

Hi Addie,

One way you could combine your two passions would be to pursue becoming a zoo vet. I would also suggest visiting a local zoo (Utah's Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake City is one of my favorite zoos in the country!) and speaking with some zookeepers or a vet if you the chance to hear from them about the pros and cons of their positions and the type of schooling and experience needed. Volunteering or interning would be a great way to become exposed to the nuances of the different jobs before committing to one career path over the other. It also depends on your personality. I know a lot of zookeepers who could never be vets because they become so emotionally attached to their animals that they would find it difficult to deal with so many sick and injured animals and have to make the tough choices on end-of-life care.

0

paula’s Answer

I'm not a Vet or a Zoologist but my daughter is currently studying zoology at NC State. If you are passionate about animal care, husbandry, or conservation and preservation, then Zoology would be the way to go. If you are more interested in medical science, and don't have any issues with blood, veterinary medicine may be for you. Zoologists need at least a bachelors degree and maybe a Masters or PhD depending on how high you want to move up within the field. Vets need a bachelors and then their DVM which is a little more challenging given the fact that their are only 30 vet schools in the U.S. I hope this helps! Good Luck

0

Jocelyn’s Answer

I am neither of these, so I can’t say which is better, but I know that one involves practicing medicine and the other does not, so if you are not interested in practicing medicine, zoology seems a better bet. If possible, perhaps you could reach out to a zoologist in Utah at the Hogle Zoo, Weber State or the University of Utah to see if they would be willing to share their experiences with you? You could also take a look at the course work required for each - I believe a doctor of veterinary medicine takes 8 years (4 undergraduate and 4 in vet school), so it is a big commitment. If you can get into a zoology program and work in a veterinary clinic during undergraduate studies, you can gain experience (important for your application) and decide later if vet school is something you want to pursue.

0