do i have to have a 3.0 to become a dancer or chorogerpher

3

Hi Hannah,

Remember, becoming a dancer or choreographer is not about your GPA, which is what I took from your question. Becoming a dancer is about passion and how hard you are willing to work to accomplish your goal. If you want to become a choreographer other dancers are not going to be looking at your GPA. They're going to be looking your work or your portfolio of dance.

I have been dancing my whole life and dance is a huge passion of mine. My advice to you is to absorb as much knowledge as you can, go to workshops, classes, watch videos online, talk to others in this profession, and from there start teaching your own classes and creating your own content. I have a friend who is a hip-hop choreographer and this is the way he started. He went to my high school and was always interested in hip-hop and a few years after he graduated (because he was a few years ahead of me) he came back to teach my dance team our hip-hop routines, and he was teaching at my dance studio, then I saw that he was teaching at bigger studios such as Ballet Austin.

My take away from this is that yes, school is very important and you should do the best you can in both dance and your studies, but to succeed in this career path you will need more than good grades. You will have to go above and beyond in your work, and most of all you need to have passion.
0

Sheila’s Answer

Hi Hannah:

Choreographers instruct dancers and teach them the steps and movement in a dance routine. The best way to succeed in becoming a professional choreographer is to develop dancing skills and combine them with leadership, communication, artistic talents and creativity.

As others have already shared with you great suggestion, without repeating I want to share that I have a niece that is a dance choreographer. She and her sister started dancing when they were very young and part of a company. They continued dancing ballet, tap, jazz, hip hop, etc. all through high school and one niece all the way to college. The niece that is a dance choreographer does all types of dancing. She has a great passion for it and enjoys her teams. You can't go wrong with any of the previous suggestions. I wish you much success and best of luck to you!

Sheila recommends the following next steps:

How to Become a Professional Dance Choreographer • https://careertrend.com/how-2082795-become-professional-choreographer.html
0

Prashanth’s Answer

Hi Hannah,

I hope you’re doing well & wish that you have a great week ahead.

Now to answer your question, couldn’t find any information online pertaining to 3.0 related with Dance or Choreography. I will however share some information that I found online on how to become a dancer or a choreographer.

 What They Do: Dancers and choreographers use dance performances to express ideas and stories.

 Work Environment: Some dancers work in performing arts companies, or are self-employed. Choreographers may work in dance schools, and others may work as self-employed choreographers.

 How to Become One: Education and training requirements vary with the type of dancer; however, all dancers need many years of formal training. Nearly all choreographers began their careers as dancers.

How to Become a Dancer or Choreographer

1. Education and training requirements vary with the type of dancer; however, all dancers need many years of formal training. Nearly all choreographers began their careers as dancers.

2. Many dancers begin training when they are young and continue to learn throughout their careers. Ballet dancers begin training the earliest, usually between the ages of 5 and 8 for girls and a few years later for boys. Their training becomes more serious as they enter their teens, and most ballet dancers begin their professional careers by the time they are 18.

3. Leading professional dance companies sometimes have intensive summer training programs from which they might select candidates for admission to their regular full-time training programs.

4. Modern dancers normally begin formal training while they are in high school. They attend afterschool dance programs and summer training programs to prepare for their career or for a college dance program.

5. Some dancers and choreographers pursue postsecondary education. Many colleges and universities offer bachelor's and/or master's degrees in dance, typically through departments of theater or fine arts. As of March 2016, there were about 75 dance programs accredited by the National Association of Schools of Dance. Most programs include coursework in a variety of dance styles, including modern dance, jazz, ballet, and hip-hop. Most entrants into college dance programs have previous formal training.

6. Some choreographers work as dance teachers. Teaching dance in a college, high school, or elementary school requires a college degree. Some dance studios and conservatories prefer instructors who have a degree; however, they may accept previous work in lieu of a degree.

7. Nearly all choreographers begin their careers as dancers. While working as dancers, they study different types of dance and learn how to choreograph routines.

8. Some dancers take on more responsibility if they are promoted to dance captain in musical theater companies. They lead rehearsals or work with less experienced dancers when the choreographer is not present.

9. Some dancers become choreographers. Dancers and choreographers also may become theater, film, or television producers and directors.

Important Qualities for Dancers and Choreographers
 Athleticism. Successful dancers must have excellent balance, physical strength, and physical dexterity so that they can move their bodies without falling or losing their sense of rhythm.

 Creativity. Dancers need artistic ability and creativity to express ideas through movement. Choreographers also must have artistic ability and innovative ideas, to create new and interesting dance routines.

 Leadership skills. Choreographers must be able to direct a group of dancers to perform the routines that they have created.

 Persistence. Dancers must commit to years of intense practice. They need to be able to accept rejection after auditions and to continue to practice for future performances. Choreographers must keep studying and creating new routines.

 Physical stamina. Dancers are often physically active for long periods, so they must be able to rehearse for many hours without getting tired.

 Teamwork. Most dance routines involve a group or pairs, so dancers must be able to work together to be successful.

Hope this answers your query
Good Luck 😊

Prashanth TM
0