How long do I have to go to school if I want to major in Sports mangement & recreation

I'm a star football player at wendell phillips and I want to, even if I get injured I can still have something to fall back on and it's something to do with my liking. #college #major

What are some things we would do in this major? Antonio B.

1

Kendall Paige’s Answer

Aloha, Antonio!

I'm glad that you are thinking ahead to your future and hoping for the best, but preparing for the "worst." One of my mentors early on shared with me "your education is something that can never be taken away from you" and I could not agree with this statement more! I would begin by narrowing down the Sports Management programs you are interested in. Many colleges & universities at all levels - community colleges, state colleges & universities, as well as private colleges & universities - offer this major/minor. If you are in a position where you are able to narrow down the program that you are most interested in, that would be the best fit for you and your future goals, that is ideal. Another blessing is that you are an athlete currently, which may open the door to athletic scholarships to a college or university.

A traditional Sports Management degree would take four years to complete. Dependent on whether you take prerequisite courses at a community college first, then transfer to a college or university for your junior & senior years to complete your Sports Management courses, or you attend the same school the entire time, it will likely take four years to earn your degree.

Although I did not major in Sports Management, one of my minors was in Sports Management Dive Industry (a.k.a. SCUBA). My classmates who also majored or minored in Sports Management Dive Industry went on to work for the United States NAVY, as well as companies in dive instruction/excursions (think both in a tourist or educational capacity), and even in underwater photography & videography! Of course an even broader degree of Sports Management can open up a whole world of opportunities with professional sporting teams and organizations, venues, events, etc.

Good luck in your future endeavors both as an athlete and as a student!

Kendall Paige recommends the following next steps:

Research Sports Management Degree Programs online.
Connect to current Sports Management students and alumni to learn about their educational experiences.
Create a LinkedIn profile to network with professionals in the Sports Management industry.
Research athletic scholarships which you may be eligible for.

0