As a creative writer, what artistic classes should I take in order to heighten my perspective on creativity?

I want to double major in theater and creative writing, and I want to be sure about the classes I have to take so I don't lose any inspiration for my work. #art #creativity

Nicole’s Answer

There are programs, Actors Studio Drama School for one, which requires its playwrights to take Basic Technique and Scene Study Classes that are part of the Actors Curriculum. The idea is't to make the playwrights better actors, but to help them to better understand the instrument they are writing for. ASDS is a graduate program, but schools like Emerson College offer Creative Writing as well as classes on Popular Culture, Novel into Film, Performing Arts, Mass Communication. Find a school that will provide you with structure, without fencing you in too much.

Thank You for this Information
Thank you so much, this is extremely helpful.

Maegan’s Answer

Hi Amanda,

First, I'd recommend that you take any classes where you'll be reading good books. Read as much as you can. Second, take whatever classes you feel will inspire you. I took visual art classes, but the great thing about writing is that anything can be beneficial to your creativity: history, art, science, etc. Ultimately, your writing will speak for itself, so (in my opinion) it is more important that you have a good writing sample and an interesting story to tell than it is that you have creative writing classes on your record as a high school student. That said, if you think those classes will be the best way to improve your writing, than you should take them.

Maegan, you teach writing in college, right? Amanda -- this is some great advice for you!
I will, thank you very much.
Thank You for this Information
Thanks for this feedback! I'm a creative writer myself, so this type of feedback helps me out alot, even if I do want to do Journalism. If I don't like Journalism when I get to college (which will never happen), I know that I can use this feedback to work on Creative Writing