What is the first step after graduating college?

I am a student going into my third year of high school. College is coming up really soon and I want to be ready and prepared when I graduate college. A lot of people don't seem like they know what to do after they actually get their degree. I want to use my time to the fullest and I don't want to waste years after college trying to find a job. Please give me any advice about this type of situation and tell me about your own experiences. #college #job-search #preparation #after-graduation

3

Hi Karen!

Ken gives excellent advice, so it is difficult to come along behind him!
But, let me add a few "don'ts"

Don't think you have to go into X because everyone in your family is an X.
Don't think you have to do X because that is what your parents want you to do, and they are footing the bill. It is better to pay your own way and be happy than to follow someone else's life plan for you.
Don't be afraid to say part-way through, "oops, this is not for me," do a 180 and go in some totally different direction, even if it means an extra year or two of school.

If you have a general direction/major that you would like to share with us, we could give more specific advice.

Oh, and join LinkedIn, and join some of the career-specific groups, so you can learn what people in your field are talking about, and even join in the discussions!

0

Megan’s Answer

I agree with Kim. In addition, I would recommend an internship. It will give you the opportunity to explore a job for a set period of time, while giving you valuable work experience that will help build your resume and expanding your professional network.

0

Megan’s Answer

0