Is it easy to get a job after college as a communications major?

4

Amritha’s Answer

Brilliant question! Communications is such a diverse and pertinent field in any sector, however, because of its vastness getting a job per se might pose some challenges in the initial start of your career. But fret not, there are exciting ways to overcome that.

Hopefully, these steps aid in some way to navigate and answer your question.

Amritha recommends the following next steps:

One could apply for internships in hopes to create a leeway into a company permanently.
Saved!
Freelance work; Upwork is a good start ( Build your rapport and understanding of how communication strategy works)
Saved!
Building network through LinkedIn groups such as different Public Relations Associations (Connect with other like minded individuals that may open the door to opportunities)
Saved!

1

Lilian Phung,’s Answer

adding to what Amritha said, communications is broad, so what would be helpful for sharing some recommendations with you is having a better understanding of your thought process and your experience so far (what have you been seeing in this area?) What did you have in mind as far as what you wanted to do when you picked Communications as your major to study? I'm on LinkedIn more, so feel free to follow up on there if not posting a response here, linkedin.com/in/lilianphung

0

Tom’s Answer

Overall, a college degree provides you with the ability to apply for many different types of communication job opportunities or other job opportunity areas if desired. It is never easy to get into the job market and you will need to understand that you must pay your dues so to speak before you find your dream job. Amritha and Lillian provided some great details on how get the necessary experience and opportunities within the market place. Non-profit volunteer work is another and even the military reserves provide communications liaison opportunities with training and experience along with some pay. with some college funding as well. This does not mean you must join the active military for several years leaving school but you would provide reserve duty on weekends. I was extremely fortunate to join the military with no college degree or understanding of what I wanted to do in life, I now have a BS and two Masters degrees. I received training, experience, confidence, and traveled the world to gain the career opportunity that I only dreamed about once retiring from the military.

0

RAVI’s Answer

If securing a job is the only criteria then everyone would be opting in for computer science, nursing, and pharmacology as I see demand in these fields per the analysts.
From you question alone I infer that you like "Communications" of some sorts, but it is not clear which one. It is a pretty vast field. Almost all companies need some "Communication" major employees, but the numbers are small compared to the rest of the base employees. Many companies also prefer people with their core business knowledge but also strong "communication" skills. It is tough to answer with the information in the question.

However, do not worry. College degree and experience will help you along. At the end of they day it is all up to you to secure a job and not the degree, and probably not the college as much. This is particularly true about growth.

Focus on developing your personality, networking with people, starting with internships, and volunteering with companies. More importantly work hard in everything you do and learn about everything you do. You will succeed.

0