What helped you in deciding to become a labor and delivery nurse?

Updated Winchester, Virginia

I am really interested in a career in nursing. The one branch of nursing that really sparked my interest was labor and delivery nursing. #registered-nurses #pediatric-nursing #pediatrics #obstetrics #hospital-and-health-care #healthcare #medicine

Patricia’s Answer

Updated Huntington, West Virginia

Nursing is a very rigorous field. We are carefully trained in all aspects of the medical field (we really should be called DOCTORS). Labor and delivery is a huge field to learn but very rewarding. You can pretty much work anywhere (hospital delivery rooms, physicians's offices, community clinics, etc). The field is growing (Mid-wifery, Nurse Practitioner, Anesthesiologist, etc). In your semester clinicals, you will get a full view of Labor and Delivery (seeing C-sections live or a live vaginal birth). It is loads of fun with the babies and assisting the mothers. Remember there is a lot to learn. Labor and Delivery is very comprehensive. Study and pass the NCLEX and you are on your way. Good luck and God bless

Angela’s Answer

Updated Santa Rosa, California
The great part about nursing school is they expose you to many areas. I know many L and D nurses and it's all they've ever done. They knew right away " this is it". I worked in L and D for 6 months because I thought it was it for me. After 6 months I figured out I preferred the babies not the process of birthing them. Be patient with yourself, you'll figure it out 😊

James’s Answer

Updated Round Rock, Texas
It is so rewarding to help bring a new baby into the world! The parent's happy reaction is a wonderful sight. However, it is not always fun and happy outcome; things can go wrong and lots of stress for nurses.