Hamid W.’s Avatar

Hamid W.

966

28

What does the hospitality sector consist of and is a good place to work in?

I am a junior in high school. I am looking to apply to colleges next summer and just wanted to get a heads up to see what I was aiming for. #college #college-major #university #college-majors #hospitality

Hospitality industry in general includes, but not limited to; Hotel-Motel, Resorts, Restaurants, Theme Parks, Conference and Events, Cruise, Airlines and many more. The industry is evergreen and has a huge potential for steady employment. Many positions are well paying. Hospitality industry employs professionals from various fields of education. The best characteristic of the industry I like is; there is a lots of opportunity to interact with people. Perhaps liking people and your need to help others are pre-requisite. I have seen more simple people succeeding here. Next time you go out, please look around to identify activities hospitality workers are engaged in, understand common traits and notice buzz statements. I encourage to visit following websites that might be useful in understanding more.

American Hotel & Lodging Association - www.ahla.com Hospitality Today - www.hospitalitytoday.com National restaurant Association - www.restaurant.org

Best wishes for success,

Last updated Oct 19 '16 at 13:48

Hi Hamid!

Here is a site that will provide you with some helpful statistics and other helpful information. http://www.bls.gov/iag/tgs/iag70.htm

Last updated Oct 20 '16 at 19:54
In hospitality area there’s front desk, housekeeping, purchasing, food and beverage, events planning, marketing and sales. Most of these cover under the Hotel management program, then depending on your personal interest to choose to specialize in the specific area. Which sector is best? That is depending on your personal interest. If you have great organization skills, and you like working with people, food and beverage or events planning is great area to be in. If you like behind the scene, front desk has minimum contact with customers and then housekeeping. There’s also the management side of the hospitality which involve purchasing, marketing and sales, which require more of a business management major.
Last updated Sep 10 at 16:39