What is the difference between a zookeeper and a zoologist?

4

Mickael’s Answer

zoologist is the person who studies animals while zookeeper is the person that takes care and tends to animal in zoologic parks. I believe this is the difference.

If you want to study animal habits, what they eat, how they mate and so on, this is a zoologist job. If you want to take care of animals, tend them, feed them ... this is a zookeeper job. The zookeeper probably uses what the zoologists found to best take care of the animals in their parks.

That said, I can be wrong.
1

Adrianna’s Answer

Great Question!!
As I worked to get my degree in Zoology I was constantly asked "Oh, so you want to be a zookeeper?" Which though I could go down that path if I chose, it was not the reason for my degree.

Getting a degree in Zoology offers up a lot of doors for you. Yes you can become a Zookeeper as a former acquaintance I know currently does with her degree. Though you can also go down the path more related to science or animal welfare. These paths include wildlife science (which is my interest), Veterinary science, Animal behavior, Animal welfare, Rehabilitation centers, and more. Zoology opens up doors to all things animals as the latin roots directly translate into Animal (Zo/Zoa) and Study of (Ology). In essence the two are not mutually exclusive from one another. Though from my understanding, many people can work their way into becoming a zookeeper without having a degree, while you can't necessarily work your way into doing wildlife science, or the other pathways it offers.

I would love to answer more questions for you if anything I said was unclear as it is a common misconception that they are one in the same.

Thank you so much! That is very helpful! Miryam R.

1

Neha’s Answer

Zoologists focus on wild animals that are in their natural habitat. They travel to places where they can observe these animals, collect biological samples, track populations and gather other data that's relevant to the focus of their study. These scientists may monitor health conditions and population levels, and they may also use their data to determine if environmental changes are adversely affecting native species.

Zookeepers work with wild animals that live in zoos. They maintain the areas where the animals live and ensure they are cleaned regularly. Zookeepers also monitor the animals to make sure that they're healthy.

Thank you!!! Miryam R.

1

Pro’s Answer

A zookeeper for the most part has studied practical animal care while a zoologist has studied the biology, psychology, ecology, and behavior of animals in a lot more depth. Zookeepers are mostly caretakers; zoologists might also work on studying animals more.

Thank you!! Miryam R.

1

T.’s Answer

Zoologists focus on wild animals that are in their natural habitat. ... Zookeepers work with wild animals that live in zoos. They maintain the areas where the animals live and ensure they're cleaned regularly

Thank you so much! Miryam R.

No problem! T. LAURE'NTONI

0