what does some in public relations do in a day?

WHo do they talk to and what sort of degree do they need? #communications #public-relations

5

Vikshith’s Answer

Firms and individuals should hire a public relations agency when they want to protect, enhance or build their reputations through the media. A good agency or PR practitioner can analyze the organization, find the positive messages and translate those messages into positive media stories

1

Miranda’s Answer

A lot of colleges have degrees specifically in public relations, sometimes referred to as strategic communication.

A day to day in this career is going to vary by the industry. But you're going to be working on messages to the public - this might be via social media or even planning/working events.

It's a great and growing field. A degree in communications qualifies for you many different positions!

1

Brianna’s Answer

As a PR professional who has always worked in an agency setting (ie: multiple clients versus one) my experience is that no day is ever exactly the same which is part of what I love about it. That being said, there is a common set of skills that I often use across all of the activities I do on a regular basis. Those include solid writing skills for projects like pitching, website content, op-eds/guest posts and blog posts, social media skills, research skills, time management/organization, and interpersonal communication skills. In addition, creative thinking is a great skill to have as well, whether it's more visual/graphic design for different creative materials or conceptual and strategic such as recommending new strategies and approaches. If you choose to work at an agency, flexibility is also important as you have to learn to balance the needs of multiple clients.

Personally my degree is in public relations but I've worked with colleagues who have general communications degrees, journalism degrees, marketing degrees and even business degrees.

Hope that helps!

0

Bethany’s Answer

It really just depends what what type of industry you go into and if it's in an agency setting or not. You could be doing a lot of writing, or social media. You may be planning events for clients or doing a lot of community relations. Regardless, people thinking that they need to go into this industry need to be very detailed oriented, willing to role with the punches and flourish in an every-changing and extremely fast-paced environment.

0

Imad’s Answer

Hi Sara, PR is how to strategically frame the conversation regarding a person, product, or company with respect to the public. You can study for it in school.

0