How much Math does really play into being a robotics engineer?

Asked New York, New York

I love the engineering field, but I am not good at any of the math part that comes into play. I know that I am only in Highschool, and the fact being that my mindset of math is just to plug and play formulas. I don't want to think about it, just get it done. If I was to become a robotics engineer (which I am aspiring to be ), I wanted to know how much math would actually play a role into it. And if it is a heavy role, I also want to know what kind of math will be required. I did take one summer class in robotics, and for the electronics part it was usually just "plug and play" a list of formulas that you acquire. I am bad at thinking of an answer and breaking barriers only what it comes to math. I just want to see how it is going to be if I follow this line. #electrical-engineering #robotics #robotics-engineer

mathias’s Answer

To get an engineering degree, at least in Sweden where I got mine, you need to take a lot of math classes. Some of those are "hard" to complete. Hard in the sense that you do have to spend a lot of time on the subject before passing the exams. Basically you have to build up a gut feel for what method/variable substitution/formulas apply to the challenge at hand and this takes effort much like getting your body to perform in sports. It won't happen without a lot of effort. Now, do to robotics you don't actually need a degree although it is beneficial. And even with a degree, the actual maths part of your job is probably not going to be that hard. Or you could get help on that part. Still, why they keep us working so hard in the engineering training program is that training to solve math problems indirectly helps you solve other difficult tasks over the years to come. Complex mathematics is not intuitive until you have worked on it all those hours. See it as a challenge and embrace it!