What college courses should someone wanting to pursue mechanical engineering take so that they are well prepared for the future?

Asked El Paso, Texas

I will be beginning college in a few months giving the fact that I am completing my last year of high school and I would like to pursue a job in the mechanical engineering line of work and I was wondering what classes I should take so that I will be best prepared for my future to come. #mechanical-engineering #mechanical-engineer

Glenn’s Answer

Updated Los Angeles, California

Most colleges have a pretty well defined course requirements for a degree in Mechanical Engineering. At my school, you did not declare which engineering program we were taking after freshman year, the ME programs requirements were slightly different than the other engineering requirements. The counselors at your college or University can help. Typically freshman year include calculus, Physics, Chemistry, English,

When it comes to electives over your 4 years, I recommend technical writing if not already required. Take the harder technical electives that highlight areas of interest. Project classes are impressive to hiring managers.