Is there any great entrepreneurial books ?

Asked Lynn, Massachusetts

I'm looking for book to read about staring a business and what the essential things to get it started. #entrepreneurship #entrepreneur

Alicia’s Answer

Updated Bellevue, Nebraska

You might want to read The Start-Up of You written by Reid Hoffman and Ben Casnocha. You can also check out http:/www.thestartupofyou.com/students/ where you'll find some great career information for students.

Elizabeth’s Answer

Updated San Jose, California

A good place to start is Forbes.com. They often list the Best Books of 2013 and you can look at the titles/topics to see which best meet your needs and interests. "Who Moved By Cheese" is a popular choice too. It's usually assigned reading for business classes and isn't too long.

Thanks for help.

Updated Indianapolis, Indiana

*1. "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki

This book will show you the entrepreneurial mindset vs. an employee mindset. If you're wanting to start a business, your going to want the entrepreneurial mindset!

*2. "Cashflow Quadrant" by Robert Kiyosaki

This book will explain the 4 quadrants of making money, 'Employee Quadrant', 'Self-Employed Quadrant', 'Business Quadrant', and 'Investor Quadrant'. Best to be in the latter 2, but not in the worst quadrant - self-employed. Very interesting and impactful read. You don't want to be "self-employed". If you're business can't run itself one day then you would be better off being an employee.

*3. "The E-Myth: Why Most Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It" by Michael Gerber

This book will get into practical examples of running a business and the different "hats" you will wear. Essential book to read from an operational and vision perspective.

*4. "Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell

Why things "tip" and how do you get your business/idea/campaign to "tip"? What's the fun in running a business that is number 10 in the space? How do you get your business to be number one in it's niche...

*5. "Good to Great" by Jim Collins

What qualities make a great company. Great examples of well known companies to help inspire you!

*6. "Built to Last" by Jim Collins

How do you make a great company last? This read is good to help you understand sustainability for your organization.

I'd suggest reading in this order. Really good books and have helped me in my entrepreneurial career. You're not going to read books and have all the answers by the way. Most of the lessons I have learned is through the "School of Hard-Knocks". However, it would be unwise not to take advantage of some of the lessons these authors have learned at that same school!

There are other books, too. Let me know once you've read the above and I can give you a follow-up response!

Derek’s Answer

Updated Omaha, Nebraska

The E-Myth Revisited was required reading in one of my Entrepreneurship classes in college and it was excellent. It's still one of my favorite books.

Carol’s Answer

Updated Omaha, Nebraska

I have heard great things about the 4 Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss

Kelsey’s Answer

Updated Omaha, Nebraska

The Sales Bible: The Ultimate Sales Resource by Jeffery Gitomer

Holly’s Answer

Updated Los Angeles, California

If you go to a library you can find dozens of books on what business to start, the kinds of business to start and how much you will need and so on. The library is free to check out books and to read all about different topics, in business that may interest you. Good luck.

Nathan’s Answer

Updated Saint Albans, West Virginia

This is a great coarse to help you get prepared. Good luck. http://www.dalecarnegie.com/events/how-to-win-friends-and-influence-people/