What are some jobs that are fun/interesting they also pay well?

This question interests me because I do not want to have a job where I have to sit at a desk all day. Instead, I want one where I am able to do something interesting. I also want to make sure that the pay is pretty good. Some things that I enjoy doing: being active, hands on activities, working in groups, and helping others. #money #job #fun #interesting

10

Jared’s Answer

Geologist - If you're well-trained, you could find yourself working for a utility, oil and gas company, or specialty consulting company. You'd be able to spend a lot of time outdoors, doing surveys and tests.

Thank you for the info! Irma A.

Thank you for the idea Teal K.

This sounds like a cool job Maeve K.

4

Vivian’s Answer

Hi Matt,

That's a tough one to answer. Honestly, when I decided to be a graphic designer, the industry was a complete mess. Tons of people told me I wouldn't be able to find a job and I was worried, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I really love this design thing. When you find something you truly enjoy, even if it's sitting behind a desk, those hours fly by. In the end the paycheck is good, because you thrive to be the best in the field. The industry now is "How talented are you at what you do? Are you passionate? Are you going to change the way people think?"

So for yourself, just be true to what you love to do, you probably already know. Research what you can do with that to make a career out of it. My husband loves music, realized he wouldn't make enough money as a musician and turned to becoming a sound designer. Anything is possible. Good luck Matt.

Dream big, Vivian

Thank you Vivian, this is really helpful. I love how you include your own experience as well as your husbands. It makes goals seem more achievable somehow knowing that someone else has been in that position. Andrea H.

Hi Andrea, I'm so glad you feel that way. Let me know if you have any more questions.Dream big, Vivian Vivian Urata

Thank you for the help. I'm very unsure of how to use what I'm passionate about in a career sense, and your examples really helped. Teal K.

Hi Teal, that's great! :) Vivian Urata

Thank you so much for your help Maeve K.

You're welcome Maeve. Vivian Urata

2

Jared’s Answer

Registered nurse - RNs have interesting high-intensity jobs, work in groups, help others, and rarely spend a day sitting at a desk. They also get paid very well (an average salary range of ~$75,000 per year)

Thank you for your response Matt G.

Thank you for the info! Irma A.

How competitive is this job? Teal K.

Thank you Jared this is really interesting! Savera B.

Thanks for the info! Andrea H.

Cool this is what my mom does Maeve K.

2

Jared’s Answer

Join a nonprofit as a program officer or operations person. If you find a nonprofit program that does hands-on work like building houses, running a food pantry, or helping developing nations fight poverty, you could have a lot of fun helping people!

Thank you for the info! Irma A.

Great idea thanks Maeve K.

2

Jared’s Answer

Construction manager - jobsite managers work in groups, rarely spend a day at a desk, and have decent compensation ranges. However, the industry is highly cyclical, which means that you might find yourself out of a job if new building activities stop for economic reasons.

A close analogue for this role (construction manager) would be the role of Civil Engineer, which is basically a management and project planning job for large-scale long-term projects like roads, bridges, or airports. Jared Chung BACKER

How phisically involved is this line of work? Teal K.

2

Rachael’s Answer

Good morning, Matt! Here are a few other tips I would offer you.
1) You should consider what "paying well" means where you live. If you live in a city with a high cost of living, being paid $40-50k a year is not the same as a lower cost of living at the same amount. Cost of living does not always equate to the size of city, so I would search online for what your city/state average cost of living is each year.
2) You should also understand that the pay for an entrance-level employee will always be lower than someone with years of experience and education.
3) Higher pay may also come some negative consequences, such as a loss of flexibility in your schedule. You may need to work odd or long hours. For example, I have a masters degree and supervise a program at a nonprofit organization. I don't have a great salary but I have very flexible vacation and paid time off. I have a good friend who did not go to college but has worked his way through restaurants over 12 years and now runs a restaurant. He makes a great deal more annually than me ($60,000 annually), but he works 10-20 more hours each week.

Jared provided some great examples of very diverse careers, but I would emphasize that your earnings over your career will vary. The longer you work and the better you are at your job the more likely you are to earn more! Good luck!

Thanks for the help Andrea H.

Thank you for the advice Teal K.

Thank you for this great information Maeve K.

2

Simeon’s Answer

If you're talking about a job you could hold down right now, I'd recommend summer camp working since it's hands on, being active, working in groups, and helping others. I'd also recommend it for a couple of other reasons. First, it gives you a fun adventures to go on during the summer. Second, you will likely receive certifications for lifeguarding and/or ropes course work that you can use outside of the summer for part time work as your schedule shifts around. Third, you have a great opportunity to get to know the other workers well as you'll be spending most of your time with one another. If you're looking to be successful, any kind of networking will be helpful for you. Lastly, you could also look at the camping industry long-term for your career. Camps are devoted to helping people get away, grow, and work on becoming the best versions of themselves.

0