What is the most interesting thing that can happen while banking?

6

Helen’s Answer

Reading the answers above I think people are a bit confused. I see you tagged "investment banking" and maybe you are wondering if a banking career is interesting?

I used to be an investment banking analyst covering technology and I've seen people whom I respected a lot. Society has a lot of negative portrait of an investment banker - they are deal makers, they value profits over personal work-life balance, etc. A lot of that is true; investment bankers advise the most complicated things in finance. For example, if you want to list your company on NASDAQ, how should you price your company? If you want to do an acquisition of another company, how would you help them win the bid against other buyers? To solve these problems, it requires you to have knowledge in corporate finance, experience of working on similar projects, analytical skills that can back up your advise to giant corporations, and finally, grit to survive in a high pressure environment without losing your sight. Lots of people find this career beneficial before transitioning to other corporate strategy, finance and investing position later down the road. These people are not necessarily the most interesting, but lots of them are intellectual, assertive and efficient to work with.

Another thing you might find rewarding is studying various types of companies in this career. Business models change every now and then. Using the banking industry itself as an example. In the past credit card companies process payments, while nowadays payments options have been more versatile and flexible than before. You are not necessarily working for a single company, but instead you will have the chance to learn how some people have successfully abstracted these arcane business processes into something a citizen developer can easily build. Since I'm not 100% clear if your question is just about the banking career but maybe about banking in general, I would recommend doing some research on how payments work - you will see a lot of new things happening to our current financial industry, and then you can choose which angle you'd like to approach it if you find any part of it to be worthy of more innovations in the future.
0

Lisa’s Answer

Banking is different everyday because you handle different situations and get to work with different people. You can help customers save for things they want and help someone change their life. There are opportunities to learn and grow and wear many hats each and every day. It is rewarding to help customers make the right decisions!
0

Banking is typically not associated with the word "interesting". There are few people that would give their money to an "interesting" banker so the most exciting thing might be a multi million dollar transaction or a robbery. Believe me you don't want that kind of interesting.

There are occasions when a bank will upgrade or change its vendors or software. In these cases there are multi year projects mapping old ways to new and old data to new data. If you are a techy kind of person, this can be interesting and engaging and if you are good at it, you might do it more often.

0

Mahadev’s Answer

Banking makes us get these 1. Comfortable with the digital transactions 2. Exploring more opportunities on investments 3. Exploring the options of insurance and other required things 4. The career opportunities in banking sector
0

Jason’s Answer

The fact in this day and age, that you can do 90% of transactions with your app is just amazing. Money has become less physical and really more digital. I can't wait to see what will happen in the next 10, 20, and 30 years.
0

Brian’s Answer

I think the answer to your question depends heavily on what you find "interesting". Someone could be excited about something as simple as a new deal that comes along. You could be excited by working on a deal for a company that you know/use their products. You could be excited to work on deals with senior leaders.
0