What do counseling psychologists do?

I am a psychology major in college #psychology #mental-health #mental-health-counseling

2

Daniela’s Answer

Hi Rachel,

Although trained differently, a clinical or counseling psychologist both assess individuals in order to diagnose and subsequently treat their mental, emotional and behavioral disorders.

A Day in a Psychologist's Life
Clinical and counseling psychologists

• assess individuals using diagnostic tests and interviews

• diagnose mental, behavioral and emotional disorders

• decide what treatment methods to use

• help individuals deal with short-term personal issues that may result from a crisis such as the breakup of a relationship, death of a loved one, a - traumatic event or the loss of a job

• provide therapy to families or couples

More importante information in:
https://www.thebalance.com/psychologist-526059

Best!

Thank you! Rachel B.

0

Judith-Ann’s Answer

Counseling Psychologists do just that. They counsel. To be called a psychologist, one must get a PHD in Psychology. Some Psychologists do testing which is a specialty in and of itself. They test for personality traits, intelligence, and childhood testing is very important in children who are having problems. I am not a Psychologist so I would suggest you talk to a Pscyhologists to get better informed answers about their testing. As for as counseling, they also counsel just like any counselor. I am a licensed professional counselor and I counsel. I have a master's degree in counseling and a state licensure for counselors.

what does counseling entail? Counselors do not do any testing? Rachel B.

Counselors have different jobs than people getting a master degree in counseling psychology? Rachel B.

0