Is the road to becoming a OB/GYN hard?

I want to go to an HBCU and my major will be biology. I am very invested and interested in becoming and OB/GYN. I love helping younger people as well as people in general and telling people information about their health/ doctor medicine healthcare science biology health medical-school

2
Pros
1
0

Muriel’s Answer

Obstetrics and gynecology is a rewarding, but competitive speciality! Medicine in general is a hard career path, and OB/GYN specialty is no different. Pursuing your degree in Biology is a great first step towards preparing yourself for the MCAT and medical school applications! Utilize your passion for medicine and ob/gyn to fuel your involvement in extracurricular activities and research when possible, it makes standing out as a med school applicant a lot easier when you love the field!

Muriel recommends the following next steps:

Shadow an OB/GYN in your local area
Make sure biology is the best science degree fit for you!
Figure out if your college labs have any kind of reproductive health research labs you can get involved in/with

I agree with Muriel. I am not an OBGYN, but my wife is an OBGYN resident. The path to get there will be very challenging with lots of hoops to jump through. It seems to be a very fulfilling career, but the training (like the job) is time consuming and competitive. It’s doable though and if it’s something you are willing to work and sacrifice for then go for it. A difficult, but easier and less time consuming route is to become a Nurse Midwife. It’s worth looking into all your options and decide what fits you best. Scoty Shumway

1
Pros
1
0