How to get a job as a new graduate without any experience

Hi, my name is sohaya, I just graduated college with a degree in human-centred Design from India, I just moved to the US and am trying to look for a job as a design researcher, with no experience working in the US. What should my initial steps be?
career design #technology#job#DesignResearch#New Grad

3

Sarah’s Answer

It's important for you to remember that you have graduated from a university and have succeeded to master . Hopefully at some point in your educational years you've had the opportunity to work as an intern in the field you have decided was your major or your first interest. That is a beginning to list what you've achieved and most important what you will bring to the company or the place that you want to join. How will you add value to this group? What will you contribute that someone else may not. Why are you so enthusiastic to join this group. Of course prior to sending any resume, take the time to investigate the job you want, the position, become familiar with the company and not only what they do, but also what they value, what are their expectations.
How will you be able to add to a team or become a leader or follow orders from numerous bosses.
What are you comfortable with during the day? Do you like people telling you what to do, or do you refer to work on your own solving problems.
So yes, it may be your first job, yet, you need to look at the position as a learning and growth opportunity. Sometimes, the classroom doesn't mirror the many fields and daily challenges, and your first comments should always be, I can learn, and will take the time to grasp what's needed. I have always felt that a university diploma is a license to enter a job, yet, learning is a continual process with each job.

Thanks Sarah, I did do an internship in the field I'm looking at and will keep in mind the pointers you mentioned before applying for any new positions. Thanks for the help! sohaya K.

2

Judi’s Answer

How exciting that you are starting your new career! It sounds like you need to make some business contacts in the United States. I’d suggest joining some local professional associations, going to job fairs and looking at what additional technical certifications you can add to your toolbox that will help give you experience and market your skills on LinkedIn and other professional online forums. The certifications often come with access to professional blogs and forums with advice specific to your skills, and job postings that can give you job leads. The school from which you graduated may also have some contacts you can leverage. It is all about who you know, so anything you can do to make connections will help you find a job! Good luck!

Thanks, Judi, I have been doing some courses to add some more weight to my skill set and resume, and also connecting with industry professionals to build connections. I am also on some discord chats to understand the hiring process in the US a little better. thanks for the advice and for giving me some confidence, that I'm on the right track. :) sohaya K.

0

Peter’s Answer

two things to remember when you just graduated. 1) US companies like people have some intern experience, so not having work experience put one in less desirable in bigger companies, so I would recommend for smaller companies or intern position at bigger companies (my kids went through that) getting advance degree (unless going for PhD) would help your prospect but only if you also take advantage of some work opportunities during your study (instead try to finish as soon as possible) 2) get your resume refined. these days, the Human Resource using some tools to filter resumes, so it is important to able to get thru those filters, so you can at least get an interview opportunity.
0