What classes are out there for Customer Service representatives?

I really need to work on my social skills and I know that there are speech classes, but I want to know what classes are specifically for working in Customer Service. #customer-service #social-skills #customer-support

Hello there. You can actually do this program ''associates degree in customer service'' or marketing. Actually Marketing gives you lot of Customer skills Dorcas Mujinga K.

7

Dianne Shayne’s Answer

Yes speech classes would work more so impromptu speeches would be best. Even a debate kind of setting is good. You need to be able to think on your feet. Being able to express compassion on a heartfelt level is key.

1

Michelle’s Answer

Beyond the traditional in-classroom customer service courses, you can acquire at no additional cost to you, real-time communication and soft skills experiences from your everyday professional and personal life. Examples of listening, patience, and empathy skills can be acquired via volunteer activities such as working in hospitals or elder centers; serving meals at food banks; or reading to children at local libraries. Problem solving, verbal and written communications, along with presentation skills can be acquired from acitivities that require strategic thinking similar to participating in classroom group assignments; holding an office of leadership within a school organization; or being on a team who builds projects for presentation at math and science fairs. Lastly, if you are willing to being sincere and open minded to new concepts and suggestions it facilitates a two-way communication stream between you and the reciever of your message. These are a few examples of other practical means to assist with not just learning but developing the customer service skills you require.

I thank you for your answer. Brandon H.

1

Stephanie’s Answer

Hi!

I found some online programs for you (posted below) but I'd also look at your local rec or community centers and community college or trade schools for additional courses in this area, that likely give you on site training with real companies.

https://alison.com/learn/customer-service
http://www.amanet.org/training/seminars/Customer-Service-training.aspx
http://www.skillpath.com/index.cfm/on-site/training/topic/Customer-Service

I thank you for your answer. Brandon H.

1

Donald’s Answer

I've worked on the customer service side of business for many years. Some of the best courses I took to get the "formula" for good customer service were at the Disney Organization, Southwest Airlines and The Ken Blanchard Companies; Many industries have courses for their own and outside folks too. You might want to think about those organizations that have, in your estimation, excellent customer service and see if there are courses they give. Remember, there is no one formula that works for everyone. We're all individuals and we make ourselves approachable in many different ways. Once you figure out how to best present yourself, use that as your baseline and constantly improve......

The best part about improving "social skills", is that you can start dealing with them immediately, the cost virtually nothing to improve, you get hundreds of opportunities to practice everyday and the lifetime benefits will permeate everything you do. In my opinion, the most important aspect of improving social skills is your attitude.....get that together and your off to a good start!

While you're looking for formal courses, start making a conscious effort to make contact with the people around you that you don't know. Start with a smile...well at least something other than a frown, make eye contact with people and a greet the people you see.
I hope this helps......

Good luck,

Don Knapik

Thank you for your response. I am always pleased when I receive a response about something I've written. So I sense you may need a little guidance in starting this journey so I would offer the following:

Each of us has a story to tell and most of our social interactions, at least initially, are about us. So those basic things, what's your name, where are you from, what do you do are the foundation of many of our conversations. So when interacting, you'll need to have your story ready AND be ready to listen to the story of other person.

So an easy way to start your story may be the "who, what, when where and why" of you. For me, it might go like this:

Who: Hi, my name is Don Knapik.
What: I am a semi-retired executive who is interested in helping people achieve their goals.
When: I've been doing this in various forms for many years.
Where: I live in New York City and Philadelphia and have traveled and worked worldwide.
Why: I really enjoy helping people grow and giving them the benefit of the lessons I've learned along the way.

Always try to remember the persons name (I'm told that one's name is the most pleasant sound anyone hears) and use their name in your next sentence. The message is: I am listening to you.

So with several things to say, it is much easier to start (and keep) a conversation going. In my story, there are several things you could use to develop a conversation...maybe you've been to New York City, maybe, where have you traveled? Your story tells the other person that you're willing to have a conversation and gives them things to ask about.

Sometimes it could be a simple compliment as a start: Wow, great tie!

The more you do it, the easier it gets. Let me know if this is helpful (or not) and have a great day!

Don Knapik

I thank you for your answer, and to reply: I will most definitely smile and greet people, and try to make a effort to meet people I don't know to improve my social skills. Brandon H.

1

Brandi’s Answer

Great question! If you are interested in developing additional social skills that can apply directly towards customer service I would see if there are communication classes available to you. There are several priciples that you will learn and can apply to your future career endeavors.

0

Jeffrey’s Answer

Brandon, what really helped me with public speaking was a program called Toastmasters. You can look to see if it is something available in your area. If not I suggest a local community or junior college and see what classes are offered.

If you really like to talk to people of different backgrounds across the country then customer service is something that you might be interested in. Before starting in customer service I worked in a plant making phone books and had change in directions and customer service is not something I had ever thought of doing now 25 years later I love it.

0