Ching Ting N.’s Avatar

Ching Ting N.

146

3

How to prepare for a career in the United Nations during university years?

I am in Sophomore in university. My majors are English Studies and French. I would like to work in the United Nations as a language staff. How may I get ahead in preparing myself for embarking on a career at the UN? #career-counseling #international #language #international-relations #united-nations

Would it possible for you to study abroad for a semester? Or volunteer abroad during a summer break? You can also look into participating in a Work for Travel Program (this allows you to work abroad in the summer and you get to meet all sorts of people of various cultural backgrounds). I think that have experience working or volunteering or studying abroad can definitely make your CV more competitive. Go to your college career center to ask about possible internships do to during the school year related to your desire to apply for a future career in the UN. Volunteer work during the semester relevant to your desired future career also boosts exposure. Or look to a professor who can serve as a possible mentor.

Last updated Mar 08 '17 at 01:59

I'd like to add what Debbie said. While working on making your resume interesting make sure you find opportunities that serve to your interest. Many students like to just fill their resume with credentials but they do not learn anything from them. So make sure you find something that you can enjoy, learn, and reflect upon. I would add that if you have the resources available, I suggest you try to intern for the UN. I have a colleague who works for the UN and she was first an intern and because they were impressed by her efficient work ethic they offered her a job. Try to look into possibly interning for the UN. Good luck!

Last updated May 27 '17 at 00:35