Should you go to university or college if you are not sure what to study. It is so expensive.

5

Some of my friends know exactly what they want to study, many others do not. It is such a big decision to make, and post-secondary education is very expensive. Is it worth it? If I drop out of a program, I don't know what I'll do next. #career-counseling #career-path #undecided

Yes! College is a necessity and will provide many pivotal skills for life! Some sort of college is very important. Chad B.
Arianne! Having a college degree is crucial. I suggest you take some time to know what do you really like to study. You can ask yourself questions like: Do I like math and numbers? Do I like to draw? Do I like computers?Am I a social person or a secluded person? Do I like pets? Do I like to read and write? Do I like helping others?......These are just some of the questions that will help you decide what are you interested in. Certainly, deciding about what to study can be a challenge.But, this is a preliminary step to make you decide what do you want to do. It all depends on all your interests, hobbies, skills and so on. A college counselor can be a a great help. Yet, he or she will not tell you what to choose as a major since it is a private decision. Redouane B.
As for education spending, yes! college is expensive. But there are certain ways you can make your college expenses affordable. Here in the US for instance ( I am assuming Canada is the same). you may opt to start your associate degree in a community college then transfer to a college or a university after that. Apply for financial aid or scholarship is another alternative. The bottom line is that it is worth to experience the college life and eventually get a degree. Most importantly, take your time because at the end the decision is yours. Redouane B.
5

Nathan’s Answer

1

While it's good practice to have a bit of an idea where you might like to go with your degree, university/college is an opportunity to get outside of your comfort zone and explore many different options. Most people I know changed their mind about what they wanted to do for a career from the time they started their degree to the time that they finished.

In addition, you have so many opportunities available to you while you are in school that you may not have access to otherwise. Try volunteering at different places on campus, go to the campus career centre and learn about opportunities through them, join student clubs or organizations. These are all ways to better determine your interests and if you would really enjoy working in a certain career field rather than just attending classes alone.

University/college can absolutely be expensive, so if you decide to go then make the best of the opportunities available to you while you are attending school.

1

Joan’s Answer

1

If you're not sure, try some courses at your local community college. It's much cheaper and usually transfer to whatever university you eventually end up at (make sure you ask around about transferring credits to another college before signing up).

I have friends that spent a few years at a community college getting their base courses out of the way for a cheaper price before transferring to a more expensive college to finish their degree. This also lets you try a couple of potential majors and figure out what you might like to have a career in.

1

Lucia Valeria’s Answer

1

Hi Arianne,
In my personal experience, the first year of university teaches you general courses that could help you in defining your next steps.
It´s an different experience that you shouldn´t let go.

1

Kerry’s Answer

0

I would encourage you to take some online career assessments to see if you could identify some potential career paths or clusters. You may want to seek out some assistance from services at an Employment Ontario centre in Toronto where they can give you some assistance on post secondary choices. There are pluses and minuses to both; do your homework. It is a huge investment so you should do what you can to find out what the labour market looks like for people who graduate from programs. Schools aren't always the best to give that information. Once you have an idea of what you might want to do, call some employers and ask what type of education they would like to see from a potential candidate. It may seem like a lot of upfront work, but it will save you time and money in the long run than going into something you don't absolutely love! Best of luck!

0