How can I find the most suitable career for me?
I have a general grasp of my interests and hobbies, but I'm not sure how to apply that to helping me choose a career. I want a career that matches my interests as well as my values. career-path career-choice undecided career-counseling interests
There are alot of us who started out not knowing which path er wanted to take. What helped me in my younger years was taking the time to understand and reflect on my own interests and strengths.
It may be helpful to write them down. Give yourself to time to think through them and write out your answer to each question.
1. What subjects do you find that you thrive in?
2. Is there something you are passionate about? (example: A cause, a group, a skill, a sport)
3. What strengths do you see in yourself? (Example: Leader, team oriented, relationship building, public speaking, great listener, math, etc)
4. What strengths do those around you see?
Do you see any trends?
Take your findings to a close and trusted person in your life, talk through what you've written.
Did they bring up something you didn't consider?
5. Complete an assessment - https://www.careerzone.ny.gov/views/careerzone/index.jsf
Do the assessment results and your reflections match?
After you've done that its a great time to explore careers based on your findings.
Videos about careers - https://www.careeronestop.org/Videos/video-library.aspx?lang=en&frd=true
You may find that you'll need to come back to this process a couple times and thats ok. You learn as you grow. You figure more and more of what you like and what you don't like. Don't rush the process. Take your time.
Once you've found your top 3 careers, find ways to volunteer or intern to give you a better idea which is best aligned with what you're looking for.
You'll do amazing things! The fact that you're asking questions shows that you are on the right path.
If you cannot access it, I'd be happy to include the responses here since they are very applicable!
Best of luck to you.