Is it advisable to intern as a first-year college student?

4

I am applying to intern as I want to get more knowledge on the industry and have first-hand experience. However most internships are targeted at Students who are due to graduate in a year as they have more knowledge compared to first year students. Should I bother, or should I just wait until my 3rd/4th year to intern? #college #internships

4

Kelly’s Answer

2

Hi Shrushti,

Great question! I would say definitely apply to an internship position as a first-year college student.

Not only could you find a great way to spend your summer break getting real industry experience, but it also prepares you for the process of getting an internship for the following years. Through the process of applying, you will get real practice in updating your resume, cover letter, and experience in interviewing!

I remember my first year of college, I had the same question, and I decided to give it a shot and apply to as many internships as possible. I actually was able to get an internship after applying to A LOT of companies, and I definitely still credit that first internship for allowing me to get internships down the road.

I hope you decide to try to apply, and good luck in your search!

Best,
Kelly LaBuff

2

Samara’s Answer

1

Any experience you can get in your field is valuable. When applying for internships, be sure to highlight your strengths, experience and course work that might be of benefit the company and land you the job. Good luck!

1