An Esthetician is a skin care professional in the cosmetology field. Most of these professionals perform facial and body treatments that enhance the skin's appearance and overall health. They perform waxing treatments to remove unwanted body hair or administer head and neck massages. Estheticians work with clients to create skin care regimens that best suit the client's skin type. Protective clothing is required when working with chemicals, and many of these specialists work evenings and weekends.
CAREER REQUIREMENTS AT A GLANCE
• Degree Level: Certificate from an accredited cosmetology program or associate's degree
• Degree Field: Esthetics, cosmetology
• Licensure: State-issued license
• Experience: Entry-level, no experience necessary
• Key Skills: Physical Stamina, Customer Service and Sales skills; know how to operate hair removal lasers, hand massagers and electronic exfoliators
• Salary (2018)* $31,290 per year (median salary for all skin care specialists)
I hope this information was helpful to you in getting off the ground with your research. Best of luck to you!
Sheila recommends the following next steps: