When you are about to start the day, what are your first duties ?
I like to start each day by going over any schedule to make sure any calls or meetings I have are top of mind and I get any prep work for those done first thing . Then, I usually answer my emails while i'm still fresh.
Apart from your typical morning routine about getting ready for work, and breakfast the rest of the beginning of the work day usually depends on the actual job and the company you are working for. As a computer software professional you might be a developer tester, production support engineer etc. With that said it could be all of the following tasks, but probably in a different order specific to your job and company.
1. Check your work emails, address any escalations, or critical ones, or quick ones.
2. Check your calendar and see if you need to prepare any material, read-up or otherwise for meetings on the day.
3. Look at your own set of tasks you were planning to work on the previous day.
4. See if you need to shift around any of them to address priorities that might have changed overnight.
5. Assess any long term changes to the work that might have come up because of item #1.
5. Prepare a rough plan to execute for the day.
6. Sometimes events happen during the day and you might have to reach and do all of the above in the middle of the day as well.
Customer requirements change, project schedule changes, funding cuts, prioritization changes by the management etc are all potential events that could drive the above items. These things may not be frequent, but they do happen.
1. Start with cup of coffee
2. Check email, messages from peers
3. Check my calendar to see if there are any last minute invites.
3. Check my TO-DO list for the day
4. Execute task
5. Update my TO-DO list