10
Updated 108 views Translate

How do you pick a career?

I dont know what to do

10

2

Shiela’s Answer

Hi Alfida,

Your interests play a great part in this question.

What do you enjoy doing? What are your hobbies?

If you love math, you can go for engineering or accountancy. If you love science, you can choose from a variety of medical professions (nurse, doctor and many others). If you love food, you can go for culinary courses and be a chef. If you like traveling, you can go for courses which will help you be prepared to work in the travel industry (pilot, stewardess, travel guide and many others). If you like building things, you can go for architecture courses or engineering courses too. If you enjoy writing, you can be a writer/journalist. If you like computers, you can for computer courses and learn more in whichever field you are interested in. If you like defending/protecting people, you can into law/police enforcement/army and many others.

These are just some examples and there are more career options but it will all depend on what you love to do and what you want to achieve when you get older. You can reach out to people who are in the fields that you like and learn more about it from them to get first-hand advice/tips on their own experiences with their career choices.
2
2

Rebecca’s Answer

Thank you for your question. I suggest you can consider to start from what you have interest on.
Please see below for you to consider :
1. Think about your hobbies / interest you have and identify the industry / career that relevant to these hobbies / interest. E.g. if you are interested in Maths, would you consider to be an Accountant, Maths teacher, Finance, Engineering, etc.?
2. Explore more on these careers and identify the careers that you may have interest. Shortlist a few career that you may have interest on
3. Try to speak to someone working in these industries. Alternatively, you can seek advice from your school career counselor, your mentor (if any), parents, etc.
4. Shortlist 1-2 careers you would like to pursue. Find out the entry criteria of the majors in the colleges.
Hope this helps! GooD Luck!
2
0

Atul’s Answer

The career you want to choose is based on what subjects you enjoy.
If you enjoy English - may want to be a technical writer or work for a publishing company.
If you like Math and Science - consider engineering field.
If you like history - consider a law degree.
If you like chemistry and biology - consider working for a pharmaceutical or become a doctor.
Ask your favorite teacher for guidance too. Do not do anything without acquiring knowledge.
0
0

Dorothy’s Answer

Perhaps start by taking some time to think about what you like to do, and what brings you happiness; it may be helping others, it may be working independently on a project but think about what you liked to do in school.
Then make a list of all those things you enjoy doing and talk to people who are in those fields, for example, if you like to teach you may want to talk to teachers to find out what it is like to be a teacher, even if its in a specific area like science or math or art. Another idea is to ask if you could job shadow a teacher so you can get a glimpse into this role. I hope this information helps, good luck!
0
0

Daisy’s Answer

Not everyone knows exactly what they want to be or do as a career or for the rest of their lives. I would say to be open minded and see what opportunities you have some interest in. Try applying to something that seems interesting or catches your attention. Interview in different fields, you may be surprised what you may end up enjoying that you had no idea you would like. You can always change jobs if you end up working in something that you totally not enjoy.
0
0

Priya’s Answer

Hi Alfida,
Think about the subjects you enjoy now and also how much schooling you can do. This can help narrow your options.
0
0

Kelly’s Answer

Hello Alfida,

To begin your career search, you need to come up with a list of subjects and careers that interest you. My advice is to be realist and make sure your choices are areas you are interested in and within you abilities. You then, need to decide what expectations you have for a career such as education level, work/life balance, salary ranges and future growth opportunities. Once you have narrowed down your list to a few, you could reach out to individuals in those fields for interviews, mentorships and/or internships.

I hope this information helps and good luck with your search!
0
0

Sikawayi’s Answer

Hello Alfida, this is a very good question. What made me want to be a care giver, I always liked to help people but when my husband retired from the military after twenty years of service that really brought things home for me. Right before my husband's discharge he went through about two weeks of classes that were supposed to reintroduce him back into civilian life. Anyway, all these classes are basic getting to know you and how to precent yourself. The other part to the puzzle so you get medically checked out but not for anything that may affect your new life. The veterans don't ask about PTSD or what else could be wrong with their body. From the beginning of the process, I had to learn the best way to take care of my family because my husband returned home with PTSD. They give you papers to file for VA compensation, but they don't show you how to fill them out. If you know someone who got out of the military and need help, I can point them in the right direction. Best of luck.
0
0

Atul’s Answer

Here are a couple of pointers that will help you
1. What motivates you.
2. What are your interests/ hobbies.
3. If you are in doubt consult your parents/ teachers.
4. To explore more, try online learning through YouTube before you jump into any specific field.
5. When you have listed a couple of interested areas, try to connect with people already working in those fields through Facebook, LinkedIn.
6. One Important thing that there will be always challenges/ difficulties/ problems in any field you choose. That's how you will learn and progress in it.

With that all said, it is perfectly okay to be confused in the beginning. This shows that you are proactive and in the way of making a correct decision by exploring all options. Best of luck.
0
0

Bailey’s Answer

The medical field has been a very good career. Here is a list of ideas that you can look into=

- registered nurse
-nurse practitioner
- physician assistant
- Radiology tech = X-ray tech, MRI tech, CT tech , cath lab tech
- nuclear medicine tech
- ultrasound tech
- echocardiogram tech
- physical therapist
- occupational therapist
- physician
- human resource in hospital
-medical biller /billing department
- pharmacist
-pharmacy tech
- bio-medical engineer (they are responsible for medical equipment and fix any issues)
- IT department for electronic medical record - CERNER/EPIC.
-lab= phlebotomist, microbiology, hematology, blood bank…
- management in any department
- dietician
- administrative /operator
- business administrator/ CEO

This is a long list that requires no education… some education… and a lot of education. I hope this will be a start toward your research to find the best option! I wish someone would have told me about all the different jobs.
0