5
Asked 1554 views

What is the average day in the life of a Architects?

I'm thinking about going in this field of study? #architecture #architect #architectural

5

4

Rob’s Answer

I went to architecture school at Cornell and so have a bunch of friends in the field. Their average days seem to be very busy once they are on a project. Either they are BIDDING for a project which involves a team putting together a lot of things like design, costs, models and so on and it then gets sent out to the potential customer and they then select it or reject it - often times in phases. Once the architect firm has WON a deal it becomes a project. Most of my friends daily work involves as much "project management" than design. In other words, the biggest mistake people make about thinking about a career as an Architect is that it is mainly about designing cool buildings. It is not. It is usually more about making sure the construction firms and people get the right plans, do the work properly, redo it if they mess up, making sure the client is happy, etc. etc. Cool design often gets cut out because customers are very price conscious. Note: just because this is not so "Romantic" it doesn't mean people don't love the job. When we drive by buildings my friends have worked on they always love pointing them out. Hope that helps.

Thank you comment icon Thank You! Joshua
4
3

Sonja’s Answer

In the average day in the life of an architect, you may encounter several different scenarios ranging from meeting with clients to introduce yourself and gather their input in what type of project they want you to design for them. Going to meetings at the building department for the approval of construction permits. Field measuring existing structures for future renovations. Developing a complete drawing set of construction drawings for bidding. Researching construction products and materials for your building project, making construction models, etc.

Many other functions are also involved which is why I chose to be an architect, I like how diverse and innovative this field is so that you are always reinventing yourself. Hope my perspective of architecture helps.

3